Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Camera technique

Camera technique Questions and advice on how to improve your picture taking can be posted here. This board is discussion beyons the basics, which are catered for in the 'Help and advice for beginners' board.

Old 02-07-07
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alchemist is on a distinguished road
Circular Aberrations on night or low light digital images

I am getting circular aberrations in night outdoor photos. The lense is throughly clean and these aberrations show up in multiple cameras taking pictures of the same subject at the same time. Different photos do not have these circular on the files. These photos are not of the sky and no light source is visable on the horizon that might effect the image. There does not appear to be any moisture dropletts on the lense.

I also have taken several existing light images inside an airconditioned room and these files have what appears to be similar aberrations. They are all take away from any light source or surface that might relect light into the lense.
Again a friend taking images at nearly the same also is getting these circular aberrations. They are not in a specific location on our files so we believe thay are not caused by foreign material on the image senor or the lense.
In one instance the same circular aberration is visable on a slide taken perhaps several seconds after the digital images.

Several friends claim these are "orbs" because they appear similar to gaussian rings sometimes seen through a high powered microscope, oil immersion lense. I have viewed several websites that claim these to be energy of some type entities.

I hope that one of our forum members will have a more scientific theory to the probable cause and how to eliminate, or minimize, them from the images in the future.

Regards,

Alchemist
Houston, TX
Old 02-07-07
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Circular Aberrations on night or low light digital images

Do you have any examples of a picture showing the abberation(s)?

I'm just making a wild guess here but were you using a filter in front of the lens? If so, could it possibly be caused by 'Newton's Rings' - caused by the reflection of light between two surfaces - eg the filter reflecting onto the lens.

Pol
Old 02-07-07
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Circular Aberrations on night or low light digital images

I'd agree with Pols suggestion at this stage, but if you want any further comment I'd suggest posting some examples of the anomaly

Check out my BLOG too