Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > Eye of the camera

Eye of the camera Use this board to post your photos and to tell us about the scene you set out to capture. Don't forget that the best place for *critique* in order see how your photography might be improved, technically, remains the Image Insight Photo critique board.

Old 11-05-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road
the spring is over

From a hiking which I enjoyed a few weeks ago, shortly after being released from a sort of confinement in the Fukushima Daiichi Nuke Plant vicinity.
It was nice to walk around in the freshning breeze after being forced to stay at home for a month.

The first pic. Apparently it was three to five days later from the full blossoms of the cherries but I was glad to see the scenery in this region again first time in the past three years.

The second one is my rare type of pic, a bird. He was trying to call for my attention by pecking the tree trunk. Luckly I had a tele on the body but not responed soon enough.
He went up the tree meanwhile.

both are taken by Canon 7D, cropped, resized and sharpened slightly.

yoshi

Old 11-05-11
Admin

Liked at 141 Times in 113 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: the spring is over

That would seem to be a kind of woodpecker?

Anyway, Yoshi - how are things now? Are you still in near Fukushima?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 11-05-11
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
That would seem to be a kind of woodpecker?

Anyway, Yoshi - how are things now? Are you still in near Fukushima?

Ian
All I can say is that it must be a kind of woodpecker.

Well, I returned to Fukushima last weekend. Now fully equipped with lots of beer. No more same mistake of running out of beer.

yoshi
Old 12-05-11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post

Well, I returned to Fukushima last weekend. Now fully equipped with lots of beer. No more same mistake of running out of beer.

yoshi
Haha! What's your favourite brand?

Are your neighbours back too? Are local supplies now easier to obtain.

Did you hear about the quake in Spain and the prediction by a scientist decades ago that there would be a quake on this day, but in Italy?

Spooky!

Ian
Old 12-05-11
Ancient Geek

Liked at 79 Times in 68 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:

yoshi
I'm surprised you were allowed back into the area but I'm pleased you were because that first picture is beautiful. I'd have been sorry to have missed a picci of this year's blossom.

I read somewhere that people were only being allowed back into the area for short, supervised visits (to collect belongings etc) - or are you outside that current compulsory exclusion zone?

Nice to know you have plenty beer but be sure to have a full petrol tank this time too!

Pol
Old 12-05-11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
I'm surprised you were allowed back into the area but I'm pleased you were because that first picture is beautiful. I'd have been sorry to have missed a picci of this year's blossom.

I read somewhere that people were only being allowed back into the area for short, supervised visits (to collect belongings etc) - or are you outside that current compulsory exclusion zone?

Nice to know you have plenty beer but be sure to have a full petrol tank this time too!

Pol
I vaguely recall Yoshi's place is not in the exclusion zone, but he can explain

Ian
Old 12-05-11
Ancient Geek

Quote:
I vaguely recall Yoshi's place is not in the exclusion zone, but he can explain

Ian
I think Yoshi's place is on the very edge of the 20km-30km zone, right on the boundary.

I think the advisory became an order round about the time Yoshi finally managed to leave. The last I knew was from the BBC at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13153339
I tried to look into that more closely at Kyodo but they'd stopped allowing full access unless subscribed.

That's what left me wondering if Yoshi would be able to go back to photograph the blossom - so it's nice that he's managed to do so.

Pol
Old 12-05-11
Forum veteran

Quote:
Haha! What's your favourite brand?

Are your neighbours back too? Are local supplies now easier to obtain.

Did you hear about the quake in Spain and the prediction by a scientist decades ago that there would be a quake on this day, but in Italy?

Spooky!

Ian
I take various brands of beer as I usually enjoy the change or varieties.

My neighbours started to come back in contrast, when I left here once a month ago. However it seems they again left here to evacuation centers and/or relatives homes. I phoned three of them before I came back here but none of them live here. There were three big aftershocks during my absence. that could be the reason. Actually some books of my book shelf were scattered around at my home again. One of the purposes of my coming back is to inspect how the situation is during my absence.

I read about the earthquake in Spain but never heard of the Italian case. I heard that in Taiwan there was a rumour that says there would be an unbelievably large earthquake of scale 14 (such a scale does not exist) would hit them today. Some people believed the prophet and ...

yoshi
Old 12-05-11
Forum veteran

Quote:

Pol
My area is designated as " the area where people are requested to be ready to evacuate in an emergency case". So people can stay.

the compulsory exclusion zone is just the other side of the mountain where I live. This mountain saves me and this vicinity. Just a few kilometers away from my place, they were "allowed" today to shorty go back to their houses to collect some belongings and to observe their house situation. Many of them did not lock the door when evacuated. Some used the time to throw kitchen garbage in the trash. It must smell a lot by now.

They now leashed dogs once again that were left behind, if survived, and municipal office people will pick them up all tomorrow and bring the dogs (and cats but not cows) to other regions. dogs with puppies were collected today.

Yes, what is most important is fuel. I want to keep 35 liters or so which is sufficient to go to Tokyo. Other than that life is just quiet and normal ... superficially though.

yoshi
Old 12-05-11
Forum veteran

Quote:
I think Yoshi's place is on the very edge of the 20km-30km zone, right on the boundary.
yes, exactly. Right on the boundary but on the safer side. The areas that locate north-west of the plant suffer a lot. My place is almost west. Only a 45 degree difference but that makes the big difference in reality.
My place is shown by the white square dot of "Katsurao" village in the map that is shown in the link you attached. Just south of it.

Quote:
I think the advisory became an order round about the time Yoshi finally managed to leave. The last I knew was from the BBC at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13153339
I tried to look into that more closely at Kyodo but they'd stopped allowing full access unless subscribed.

That's what left me wondering if Yoshi would be able to go back to photograph the blossom - so it's nice that he's managed to do so.

Pol
You are surprisingly well informed - much better than our governmental people, I would say. It is now legal order so people must obey when it is designated as the compulsory evacuation area.
BTW my photos were taken near Osaka area, a central city of the western Japan, while I was away from Fukushima.

yoshi
Old 12-05-11
Ancient Geek

Quote:
yes, exactly. Right on the boundary but on the safer side. The areas that locate north-west of the plant suffer a lot. My place is almost west. Only a 45 degree difference but that makes the big difference in reality.
My place is shown by the white square dot of "Katsurao" village in the map that is shown in the link you attached. Just south of it.

You are surprisingly well informed - much better than our governmental people, I would say. It is now legal order so people must obey when it is designated as the compulsory evacuation area.
BTW my photos were taken near Osaka area, a central city of the western Japan, while I was away from Fukushima.

yoshi

I got most of my information from Kyodo links during the crisis but can't do that now as I'm not subscribed. There was also a 'Quake Essential Information link' running at that time and some of it was in English.

Thanks for the update about the dog situation. I'd read about the animal rescues that were starting to happen but couldn't follow those through either after Kyodo cut me off. I can just get brief headlines or short paragraphs now.

Pol
Old 12-05-11
Forum veteran

Quote:
I got most of my information from Kyodo links during the crisis but can't do that now as I'm not subscribed. There was also a 'Quake Essential Information link' running at that time and some of it was in English.

Thanks for the update about the dog situation. I'd read about the animal rescues that were starting to happen but couldn't follow those through either after Kyodo cut me off. I can just get brief headlines or short paragraphs now.

Pol
Here are some links to news sources in English.

The first two are news paper firms. For Nikkei, there was a link specific to the quake so I chose it.

I'm not sure what kind of news agency No. 3 is. It seems it's an English news site where many English speaking people in Japan join the discussion.

1) The Asahi Shimbun
http://www.asahi.com/english/

2)Nikkei Com
http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/quakefallout.aspx

3)Japan Today
http://www.japantoday.com/

4)Foreign Press Center Japan
http://fpcj.jp/?ml_lang=en

yoshi
Old 13-05-11
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Here are some links to news sources in English.

The first two are news paper firms. For Nikkei, there was a link specific to the quake so I chose it.

I'm not sure what kind of news agency No. 3 is. It seems it's an English news site where many English speaking people in Japan join the discussion.

1) The Asahi Shimbun
http://www.asahi.com/english/

2)Nikkei Com
http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/quakefallout.aspx

3)Japan Today
http://www.japantoday.com/

4)Foreign Press Center Japan
http://fpcj.jp/?ml_lang=en

yoshi

Thanks for those. I have asashi.com and also Japan Today, though the English reports are quite limited and I can't read Japanese script. I'll watch the nikkei and fpcj too, thanks.

I still like Kyodo best of all and they're now allowing individual subscriptions as well as professional so maybe I'll succumb to the temptation and take out a limited membership.

I gather the livestock and poultry will be culled in the Fukushima affected zone so that's sad, also very sad for their owners. I suppose they'll be compensated but that can never really replace the normal everyday life, peace and securities.

Here's the link from where I originally learned what was happening about some of the domestic dogs.
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...ve-dogs.360127

Such a nightmare, such a huge disruption to so many families, so many lives.

Pol