Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  
 
advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-07
bill jarvis's Avatar
bill jarvis bill jarvis is offline
Forum regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
bill jarvis is on a distinguished road
Fuji S5

I have sold my D2X (too heavy and cumbersome) and replaced it with a D200 and a Fuji S5.
This is one of the first images with the Fuji.
I used a Nikkor 80-400mm VR at full stretch, the pigeon was about 50 feet away.
This is about a 20% crop of the full image.
I believe the colours are better than either the D2X or the D200.

bill
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-07
DTD's Avatar
DTD DTD is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 298
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
DTD is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

The Fuji has had a good review in this and last weeks BJP.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

I always felt that the early fuji S series lacked a bit in build quality bill, how do you feel the latest S5 compares in this respect with the Nikons
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

Sorry bill, just realised you posted this in critique, and I've mentioned nothing of the picture. Well in terms of quality of image I can't fault it. The tones, detail and sharpness are spot on. As for the aesthetics of the image, that bird looks like a real bruiser btw, its unfortunate there are so many twigs in the tree that distract from the bird and make it all a bit busy
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-07
bigbob's Avatar
bigbob bigbob is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Kent U.K.
Posts: 287
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
bigbob is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

Hi Bill good to hear from you again .
I bought the D2X to compliment my Fuji S3 , and i've now upgraded to the Newer S5 as well , i know what you mean about the size of the D2X but i've got large hands and i find it just about right , especially with the larger 2.8 lenses i've got .
The S5 is a wonderful high ISO camera , took mine for a spin around Greenwich yesterday and the DR on a sunny day is better than the Nikon (IMHO).
So many newer menu options on the Dynamic range and film simulation modes that i've got to play around and find which will be better for given situations .
Your pic looks a bit soft , i suppose it's a large crop , but you'll love this camera once you've mastered it .

B..
Attached Thumbnails
greenwich1.jpg   greenwich5.jpg   greenwich3.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-07
bill jarvis's Avatar
bill jarvis bill jarvis is offline
Forum regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
bill jarvis is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I always felt that the early fuji S series lacked a bit in build quality bill, how do you feel the latest S5 compares in this respect with the Nikons
It actually uses the Nikon D200 body and every button and dial are in the same place doing the same things (almost).
A definite bonus when you have a D200 as well.

bill
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-07
Goatsmilkuk's Avatar
Goatsmilkuk Goatsmilkuk is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Willenhall
Posts: 259
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Goatsmilkuk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Goatsmilkuk
Re: Fuji S5

The Fuji does look a good camera after reading about it in Digital Camera Mag, be good to see some other shots taken with it as the pigeon shot looks rushed the branches are blurred and in the way, they tend to catch the eye plus there does not seem to be a point to focus in the picture and I find my eye wondering.
May prove better to get closer to the subject, that way you could place it in the frame better and save having to crop right down.

A good idea would be to take a shot get closer, take another get closer still and so on, that way if you don't get right up then at least you have a shot, but if you manage to get in nice and close you can ditch the previous shots and keep the best.

Good luck
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-03-07
bill jarvis's Avatar
bill jarvis bill jarvis is offline
Forum regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
bill jarvis is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatsmilkuk View Post
The Fuji does look a good camera after reading about it in Digital Camera Mag, be good to see some other shots taken with it as the pigeon shot looks rushed the branches are blurred and in the way, they tend to catch the eye plus there does not seem to be a point to focus in the picture and I find my eye wondering.
May prove better to get closer to the subject, that way you could place it in the frame better and save having to crop right down.

A good idea would be to take a shot get closer, take another get closer still and so on, that way if you don't get right up then at least you have a shot, but if you manage to get in nice and close you can ditch the previous shots and keep the best.

Good luck
Slight probems regarding getting closer.
1. The bird would fly off.
2. There are two fences and someone else's garden in the way.
The branches are blurred as there's little depth of field, a consequence of long focal length and wide apertures, the subject (the pigeon) is in focus, as was desired.

bill
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-03-07
Goatsmilkuk's Avatar
Goatsmilkuk Goatsmilkuk is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Willenhall
Posts: 259
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Goatsmilkuk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Goatsmilkuk
Re: Fuji S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill jarvis View Post
Slight probems regarding getting closer.
1. The bird would fly off.
2. There are two fences and someone else's garden in the way.
The branches are blurred as there's little depth of field, a consequence of long focal length and wide apertures, the subject (the pigeon) is in focus, as was desired.

bill
That's why it's a good idea to take a shot each time you get closer, ok may not be an option if your snapping across neighbours fences, but if you get out there with the camera you will find the advice helpful.
I'm not saying that the branches should not be blurred what I am saying is that the shot would be better if they were not there, such as taken from another angle, getting a better view point of the subject or a similar subject in another tree with a clear view and unobstructed path. It really depends on what you want to achieve, but as the photo has been put in the photo critique forum I thought you were looking for comments to help improve your photography?
It's a shame if you took my comments in the wrong way as I was only trying to help you improve that's all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-03-07
bill jarvis's Avatar
bill jarvis bill jarvis is offline
Forum regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
bill jarvis is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatsmilkuk View Post
That's why it's a good idea to take a shot each time you get closer, ok may not be an option if your snapping across neighbours fences, but if you get out there with the camera you will find the advice helpful.
I'm not saying that the branches should not be blurred what I am saying is that the shot would be better if they were not there, such as taken from another angle, getting a better view point of the subject or a similar subject in another tree with a clear view and unobstructed path. It really depends on what you want to achieve, but as the photo has been put in the photo critique forum I thought you were looking for comments to help improve your photography?
It's a shame if you took my comments in the wrong way as I was only trying to help you improve that's all.
Thanks for your advice, I have been taking photographs for over 40 years and was well aware of the advantages of getting closer to the subject in this instance. As I've explained, it wasn't an option.

bill
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15-03-07
willscarlet willscarlet is offline
Forum newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: East Sussex coast
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
willscarlet is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Fuji S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatsmilkuk View Post
That's why it's a good idea to take a shot each time you get closer, ok may not be an option if your snapping across neighbours fences, but if you get out there with the camera you will find the advice helpful.
I'm not saying that the branches should not be blurred what I am saying is that the shot would be better if they were not there, such as taken from another angle, getting a better view point of the subject or a similar subject in another tree with a clear view and unobstructed path. It really depends on what you want to achieve, but as the photo has been put in the photo critique forum I thought you were looking for comments to help improve your photography?
It's a shame if you took my comments in the wrong way as I was only trying to help you improve that's all.
Oh! dear, Bill has been around for some time, on another forum and his pics are impressive you are trying to teach an old dog new tricks as Bill says he has been taking pics for a very long time perhaps pics of his daughter on her horse that have been posted on another forum and are impressive.

willscarlet
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16-03-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,338
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 156 Times in 134 Posts
Likes: 435
Liked at 250 Times in 198 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I always felt that the early fuji S series lacked a bit in build quality bill, how do you feel the latest S5 compares in this respect with the Nikons
Stephen, the Nikon D200 is a semi-pro spec body and very solidly constructed; a far cry from the previous S3 and S2 Pro bodies from Fuji and from what I have seen, the S5 is exactly the same construction as the D200. However, I understand that the S5 does not share the 5fps continuous shooting of the D200 and it's basically a 6MP sensor, so resolution might be a weakness?

I should be getting one soon to try.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16-03-07
bill jarvis's Avatar
bill jarvis bill jarvis is offline
Forum regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
bill jarvis is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Stephen, the Nikon D200 is a semi-pro spec body and very solidly constructed; a far cry from the previous S3 and S2 Pro bodies from Fuji and from what I have seen, the S5 is exactly the same construction as the D200. However, I understand that the S5 does not share the 5fps continuous shooting of the D200 and it's basically a 6MP sensor, so resolution might be a weakness?

I should be getting one soon to try.

Ian
The S5 does use the D200 body.
The continuous shooting rate is only 2 fps and is extremely slow writing to the card, other than that, it seems as good or better than the D200 in almost every respect.
Resolution seems as good, if not better than the D200, colours almost certainly are, as are shadow detail and lack of high ISO noise.

bill
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17-03-07
Bearface Bearface is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscarlet View Post
Oh! dear, Bill has been around for some time, on another forum and his pics are impressive you are trying to teach an old dog new tricks as Bill says he has been taking pics for a very long time perhaps pics of his daughter on her horse that have been posted on another forum and are impressive.

willscarlet
Oh dear indeed. On a critique forum, nobody tries to teach anybody anything, Will. Regardless of how long anyone has been taking photographs, they post in a critique forum knowing that they'll receive feedback from a range of people, from newbies through to seasoned professionals.

Stu (Goatsmilkuk) made some perfectly valid observations, and followed through with some pertinent suggestions and so the feedback should've been courteously and gratefully received. If people don't want honest feedback from all contributors, then they should perhaps look at posting in our alternative forums where critique of the image is not the name of the game.

There are several "old dogs" here, but you'll find that they are always happy to listen to anyone and everyone when it comes down to receiving feedback and suggestions. Nobody is above criticism when it comes to photography and nobody needs to be an expert to offer it in the first place; after all, you don't need to be a pilot to understand what a poor landing feels like, do you..?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17-03-07
Tom's Avatar
Tom Tom is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ireland: But residing in London
Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Tom is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuji S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
Oh dear indeed. On a critique forum, nobody tries to teach anybody anything, Will. Regardless of how long anyone has been taking photographs, they post in a critique forum knowing that they'll receive feedback from a range of people, from newbies through to seasoned professionals.

Stu (Goatsmilkuk) made some perfectly valid observations, and followed through with some pertinent suggestions and so the feedback should've been courteously and gratefully received. If people don't want honest feedback from all contributors, then they should perhaps look at posting in our alternative forums where critique of the image is not the name of the game.

There are several "old dogs" here, but you'll find that they are always happy to listen to anyone and everyone when it comes down to receiving feedback and suggestions. Nobody is above criticism when it comes to photography and nobody needs to be an expert to offer it in the first place; after all, you don't need to be a pilot to understand what a poor landing feels like, do you..?
Very good words and good on Goatsmilkuk.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got my hands on a Fuji X-T1 at last DPNow DPNow Member blog updates 0 26-07-17 03:53 AM
Why I changed to Fuji StephenL Fujifilm X-Series discussion 2 05-03-15 11:51 PM
Images from Fuji StephenL Fujifilm X-Series discussion 6 15-11-14 01:17 PM
Got my hands on a Fuji X-T1 at last DPNow DPNow Member blog updates 0 05-04-14 11:22 AM
Fuji X10 Sunset ash Photo critique 3 12-02-12 03:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Digital Photography Now, 2001-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger