Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > Accessories > Lighting - flash and flood

Lighting - flash and flood Flash and continuous lighting of all sorts from studio gear to on-camera flash can be discussed here.

Old 01-03-11
Admin

Liked at 204 Times in 163 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Flash and getting those shadows softened

Julia very kindly modelled for me a while back so I could evaluate a flash diffuser. The article was published a few days ago and these are the evaluation shots. You can see which was taken with what there:

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 02-03-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 602 Times in 401 Posts
Barr1e is on a distinguished road
Re: Flash and getting those shadows softened

A subject covered which many like me I think found of real interest. Thanks.

We were visiting our son recently who is an avid shooter (Pentax K-5) and on top of his flash he had a Gary Fong defuser which seemed to work quite well on his young family. Although fairly large in size it didn't seem so large as the one you have reviewed. Have you had any dealings with the Gary Fong item Ian and if so what are your thoughts please?

Regards. Barr1e
Old 03-03-11
Admin

Unless you're a regular studio person, I think flash is very easy to misunderstand and also it's easy to be unaware of the potential for getting the lighting right.

There hasn't been a great deal of response to this thread and this also supports my feeling that people tend to take flash with a pinch of salt and don't realise how complex flash can be and of course how much better their pictures would turn out thanks to some better knowledge.

As for the Gary Fong (LightSphere) diffuser. I haven't yet used one but I think it has, in theory, pros and cons. It's a kind of bigger form of standard dome diffuser. But what concerns me is that its overall size is still much smaller than the 22cm square Lastolite mini soft box. So I doubt it would be as good for direct use. But it seems to be designed primarily for bounce use, so you need a ceiling and walls to use it - so it would be pretty useless outdoors. As some of the light would still come directly from the flash (out of the side of the unit) onto the subject, some sharp shadows could still be cast. It looks like a dramatic product but I remain a little sceptical to be frank. I would like to obtain one in order to test it.

Ian
Old 03-03-11
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that the Gary Fong device is really intended as a supplement to the ambient light, in much the same way as a Stofen diffuser is. It is not a device intended for the studio, where largely flash is used as the only light source. The Lastolite device fits more into this category, and looking at the exif data it seems you have used ISO200 at 1/250s & f.5 I would guess that at this setting and indoors an exposure without flash would be pretty dark, therefore the flash is doing all the work. In this respect it seems to do a pretty good job, though I also suspect it really comes into its own with close up portraiture type work due to the limited output from the on camera flash.

I wouldn't normally want to use a Gary Fong diffuser with such exposures and would reserve it for fill in flash use, as I would with a Stofen diffuser, or indeed any on camera flash where it is providing all the illumination. The Lastolite is a different sort of beast altogether IMHO

Check out my BLOG too

Old 03-03-11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It seems to me that the Gary Fong device is really intended as a supplement to the ambient light, in much the same way as a Stofen diffuser is. It is not a device intended for the studio, where largely flash is used as the only light source. The Lastolite device fits more into this category, and looking at the exif data it seems you have used ISO200 at 1/250s & f.5 I would guess that at this setting and indoors an exposure without flash would be pretty dark, therefore the flash is doing all the work. In this respect it seems to do a pretty good job, though I also suspect it really comes into its own with close up portraiture type work due to the limited output from the on camera flash.

I wouldn't normally want to use a Gary Fong diffuser with such exposures and would reserve it for fill in flash use, as I would with a Stofen diffuser, or indeed any on camera flash where it is providing all the illumination. The Lastolite is a different sort of beast altogether IMHO
Interesting. If there was already some good ambient light, then I am tempted to ask why you would need a diffuser at all? Why not simply use direct flash on low power?

Direct flash does have advantages that could be useful in terms of bringing out detail and improving contrast that soft light wouldn't.

A Sto-fen or Gary Fong solution still needs walls and ceilings to work in the way such a device is designed to. That means they need to be used indoors and often the ambient light indoors is not great.

Ian
Old 03-03-11
Admin

I forgot to add - I used the fastest sync speed (1/250th) in order to reduce the effect of ambient light for the purposes of the test shots. I wanted the shadows thrown by the flash to be clear.

Ian
Old 03-03-11
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I forgot to add - I used the fastest sync speed (1/250th) in order to reduce the effect of ambient light for the purposes of the test shots. I wanted the shadows thrown by the flash to be clear.

Ian
I thought as much and I definitely think this was the correct thing to do when taking these shots.

Out of the studio though in real world situations I will usually just use ambient light and depending on circumstances throw some extra fill in flash at the scene too which lifts shadows and dark areas. It isn't always the best way to go as you can get problems with mixed lighting.

I actually lost my Stofen recently, it fell off without me noticing, so I've been using the built in white reflector that pulls out from the head, and its given me quite acceptable results..............I hate bare direct flash as a general rule unless there is loads of ambient light and then it turns itself down and you don't notice it so much.

Here are a couple of shots where the built in reflector worked well enough. ISO2000 + 1/2EV The flash was pointed up with the reflector pulled up which just brightened up the shots, essentially though I was relying on ambient light
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5487.jpg   IMG_5504.jpg  

Check out my BLOG too

Old 05-03-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 602 Times in 401 Posts
Barr1e is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ian and Stephen.

I found your comments and results most helpful.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 15-03-11
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

kennykodak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

i totally agree with you here Stephen. when using diffusers, i use the Stoffen to throw light further and the Lightsphere in close quarters. the Lighsphere cuts the output much more but is great when "your back is against the wall".
Old 15-03-11
Admin

One of the main messages I would like to get across is that Stofens and Gary Fong Lightspheres, on their own, don't soften shadows - you need walls and ceilings or other convenient surfaces. I see so many people using these things in large spaces or even outside when there is no chance that any softening can happen, instead they simply waste the power of their flash units.

Ian
Old 15-03-11
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

kennykodak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
One of the main messages I would like to get across is that Stofens and Gary Fong Lightspheres, on their own, don't soften shadows - you need walls and ceilings or other convenient surfaces. I see so many people using these things in large spaces or even outside when there is no chance that any softening can happen, instead they simply waste the power of their flash units.

Ian
agreed. i reserve the use of tupperware to indoors. and as i said earlier like the fong jug for tight quarters.