Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 31-12-09
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
kennykodak is on a distinguished road
Re: iMac

Patrick,
it's a Coke vs, Pepsi thing. simply a matter of taste.
to rag on Vista is pay back for twenty years of hearing that Apple will go out of business next week.
it's the image that counts, not the hardware.
Old 01-01-10
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

continuing "in the spirit of good fun"

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/...ortune/11.html
Old 18-01-10
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

macs have much less problems with viruses.

Internet Explorer
Old 18-01-10
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Macs have much less problems with viruses - well, I am still not convinced that Macs are immune from viruses. I know most Mac users don't run anti-virus software. I do feel one day there will be a massacre on a global scale.

Anyway, as a Windows user, I don't have virus problems either.

In defence of Vista, it fixed a lot of things that were out of date with XP, and for that reason alone it was a worthwhile upgrade, but I do feel that the criticism of Vista, that Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, has some validity. But I had no regrets at all upgrading to Vista from XP. Windows 7 is just a lot better still.

I know people who have switched from Windows to Mac successfully and those who have not. It's very much a personal thing.

Mac OS 10 is a whole lot better than the old predecessor. That was truly an out-dated OS in many ways, but with a flashy front end.

There is nothing I feel a Mac can do better for me than Windows 7 and I feel more comfortable with the freedom that Windows allows. I cannot get away from the impression that as Mac user I would, fundamentally, be under the control of the whims of Apple. And I have no interest in learning a new OS all over again.

But I do champion the Mac cause, because without a string competitor, the evolution of Windows would be stunted.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 18-01-10
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

i like the Intel processors that mac got from pc's. i'm running a quad core G5 and a macbook pro with those things and they rock.
Old 18-01-10
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I cannot get away from the impression that as Mac user I would, fundamentally, be under the control of the whims of Apple.

Ian
as opposed to Microsoft?
Old 18-01-10
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennykodak View Post
as opposed to Microsoft?
I certainly don't feel like that at all with Microsoft. They have to work in partnership with lots of different hardware companies all designing great PC variants. That's why, for example, I have a convertible laptop/tablet PC. You simply can't buy anything like that from Apple.

The Mac OS could run on my laptop, but Apple won't let you...

Ian
Old 18-01-10
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

i can run windows if i wanted to. most of my work is done on Adobe products so it really doesn't much anyway. i teach photoshop at the university in the evenings and my classroom is all Dell. i get turn around a little for a couple of keys but other than that, it's all the same.
Old 19-01-10
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennykodak View Post
i can run windows if i wanted to. most of my work is done on Adobe products so it really doesn't much anyway. i teach photoshop at the university in the evenings and my classroom is all Dell. i get turn around a little for a couple of keys but other than that, it's all the same.
I do have reservations about the virus situation with Macs, they say they are immune, but as Ian says, one day?
I read that in Snow Leopard that there is some virus protection, how it work I don't know. I have also seen for sale Norton Anti-Virus for Macs so there must be something out there to protect against.
Is it the flashy end of Macs OS that is so very appealing, is it so much more efficient than Windows? Snow Leopard certainly takes up much less space than Windows 7.

I still have this yearning for a iMac, the new screens are just amazing. I have not given up on the idea, and will win the wife round in the end.

Patrick
Old 19-01-10
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

i am running snow leopard. it's amazing. if i visited you and plugged your printer into my laptop, it would automatically on connection go online, download and install the correct driver for your printer.
Old 19-01-10

Liked at 89 Times in 69 Posts
Kurt is on a distinguished road

I am another happy Mac user. I have used many Apple Computers over the years as well as Acorn/BBC and Windows. Sometimes I was responsible for supporting users of those machines. Without exception Apple Macs were easier to deal with and required much less support, although there have been some problematic upgrades, but not to my knowledge in the current century!

Now retired I am happy to continue to use Macs.

I visited a friend the other day with my laptop and I wanted to print out a document for him. I noticed his printer was wireless so I asked him if I could print out from it. His response was "if you can. I haven't been able to get the wireless option to work". I fired up the mac, the printer was shown as available and I printed out a couple of A4 pages in colour. He was suitable impressed!

Regarding viruses, of course there are Mac viruses. I have experienced them over the years, I remember problems with Macros loaded from Word documents as well as a few Trojans, etc over the years. Current Macs have pretty efficient firewalls, but users should be aware and be careful about what they download and run from the Internet, and it is good practice to run some sort of virus protection, particularly downloaded files ought to be run through a virus checker. Of course, many Mac Users are not gamers and I believe (though I have no evidence to support this) that a lot of viruses are spread through gaming sites.
Old 20-01-10
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I am another happy Mac user. I have used many Apple Computers over the years as well as Acorn/BBC and Windows. Sometimes I was responsible for supporting users of those machines. Without exception Apple Macs were easier to deal with and required much less support, although there have been some problematic upgrades, but not to my knowledge in the current century!

Now retired I am happy to continue to use Macs.

I visited a friend the other day with my laptop and I wanted to print out a document for him. I noticed his printer was wireless so I asked him if I could print out from it. His response was "if you can. I haven't been able to get the wireless option to work". I fired up the mac, the printer was shown as available and I printed out a couple of A4 pages in colour. He was suitable impressed!

Regarding viruses, of course there are Mac viruses. I have experienced them over the years, I remember problems with Macros loaded from Word documents as well as a few Trojans, etc over the years. Current Macs have pretty efficient firewalls, but users should be aware and be careful about what they download and run from the Internet, and it is good practice to run some sort of virus protection, particularly downloaded files ought to be run through a virus checker. Of course, many Mac Users are not gamers and I believe (though I have no evidence to support this) that a lot of viruses are spread through gaming sites.
Thank you Kurt for this reply, you are the first Mac user I have communicated with to accept the fact there are indeed Viruses & Trojans that can attack a Mac. They are less numerous and rare I have no doubt.
I understand they are more difficult to write for Mac than for Windows, the fact there are less about perhaps supports this thinking.

Just like a PC sensible precautions are necessary.

Patrick
Old 21-03-10
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I have this craving to buy a iMac. In fact I have lusted after one for some time now, despite reservations on price v specification. iMacs always appear expensive compared with PC.
All Mac users I talk too praise their machines over PC but none can give a definitive reason, their reply always seems emotional rather than practical.
There is of course the disillusionment many have with PC & Windows, but the praise of Macs appears to me to go deeper than that.
I am trying before risking domestic harmony by buying a iMac (my wife has threatened to change the locks if I buy one) to understand the love for Macs over PC.

Patrick
Hi All

I have done it and ordered an iMac, the 21.5 model from the refurbished Apple Store Site. full 12 months warranty plus if I wish and pay the extra, a three year extended warranty.

Should arrive early in the week.

Patrick
Old 21-03-10
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hi All

I have done it and ordered an iMac, the 21.5 model from the refurbished Apple Store Site. full 12 months warranty plus if I wish and pay the extra, a three year extended warranty.

Should arrive early in the week.

Patrick
Patrick, have you arranged alternative lodging yet?

Ian
Old 21-03-10
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Patrick, have you arranged alternative lodging yet?

Ian
So fare so good, I think

Patrick