Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > Compact digicam centre

Compact digicam centre If you have a question or an interesting point to make about digital camera that isn't a DSLR, post it here.

Old 16-09-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 88 Times in 74 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road
Re: My camera has been run over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I must say I'd love to have a TZ-20 - it has Geolocation built in, plus the excellent extended range zoom. If that is not possible, the Panasonic FS range would do nicely.

Ian
I would really like to get one except for the fact that some reviews say the image quality is questionable at 100%. Do you know how the TZ-20 compares to the FX01 for image quality Ian? I was used to my little Panny so did not take a lot of notice because the quality seemed OK. Even macros were so sharp. Owners of the TZ-20 are so pleased with their images that they flood Facebook and U tube with their samples of which they are so proud, but many of them are so bad that I don't know whether it is the camera or the user.

As you know, we are going to India at the end of October, which includes a ride on a boat down the Ganges. (Hope I don't see any dead bodies!) so I don't want to take my Fuji HS10 if I have sufficient zoom and wide angle available in my ultra compact. (I shall take my HS10 on holiday though).

I have seen one on Simply Electronics for £207.95 in black or £215.95 in red

I can also see them on E Bay for £168.60 but it says it doesn't include import duty and related charges and taxes. Would this be a lot?

I shall have to see what the Insurance Company say. I don't mind adding some money to get what I want and the GPS and the long zoom do attract me.

I had a look at the Oly that Graham mentioned and it looks a good camera, but although cheap ones were advertised, there weren't any in stock and so they were about £250. Also I really would like to have the longer zoom.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Last edited by Autumn; 16-09-11 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Moving a paragraph
Old 16-09-11
Admin

Liked at 193 Times in 156 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

The TS-20 has a 14MP 1/2.3 inch back-lit CMOS sensor - that's the same size as your HS10 but with more pixels.

I haven't used this camera myself, but I have read some reviews from reviewers I know and trust and I think the camera is absolutely fine in terms of image quality. I'm also pretty sure that it should exceed the quality of your old FX01. A lot has happened in terms of image processing development since the FX01 was designed.

The TZ-20 can also record 1080p full HD video, and has a touch screen. It's absolutely packed with features and as this is a headline product for Panasonic, I'm sure they have paid attention to details with this one.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 16-09-11
Forum veteran

Thanks so much Ian, it's cheered me up no end. I did not want to make a mistake, but I did like the look of it.

Old 18-09-11
Forum veteran

I have now ordered my TZ20 in red

I have to wait from 3-8 working days for delivery.

... ... but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I ordered it from Simply Electronics. The black one was £209.95 and the red £215.95, but the next cheapest was £227.80 in black.