Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions > Photoshop permutations

Photoshop permutations Adobe Photoshop comes in a variety of versions and guises and is the most popular family of photo editing packages. Seeking help or happy to provide advice on Photoshop use? Then this is the place for you.

Old 16-09-07
joefoto

Question Buy CS3 for $299 US?

Adobe has offered CS3 for $299 through 9/16. I currently use Elements 5 with ACR for NEF, and ACDSee 9 to manage my file structure used as a library management.

Is it worth it to have a full version of Photoshop? Or is it more trouble than it is worth? And should CS3 even be considered for library management? Organizer in Elements 5 is a PITA!

Recognizing that free advice may sometimes be worth what was paid for it, anyone have any free advice as to whether to buy or not?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 16-09-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 18 Times in 12 Posts
rogleale is on a distinguished road
Re: Buy CS3 for $299 US?

If I were you Joe, I would spend my $$$$ on Adobe Lightroom not CS3.
I currently have both and I find that I am using CS3 less and less, mainly for adjustments that Elements 5 could easily handle.
Lightroom is excellent for library management apart from it's processing tools, which are also excellent.

Just my 2cents,

Roger

Roger
Old 16-09-07
PEDER WINGE ( Denmark).

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
pewidane is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to pewidane

Adobe ligtroom and elements 5 fit perfectly together use it every day :-)
Old 16-09-07
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefoto View Post
Adobe has offered CS3 for $299 through 9/16. I currently use Elements 5 with ACR for NEF, and ACDSee 9 to manage my file structure used as a library management.

Is it worth it to have a full version of Photoshop? Or is it more trouble than it is worth? And should CS3 even be considered for library management? Organizer in Elements 5 is a PITA!

Recognizing that free advice may sometimes be worth what was paid for it, anyone have any free advice as to whether to buy or not?

Thanks,

Joe

CS3 is a massive advance on Elements, however it is also a massive program. Whether or not you need it only you can really judge, if you are going to use it simply to process your RAW files and want library management then go for Lightroom. If however you want to work on images and do want I would for the want of a better phrase call advances manipulation, cutting, pasting, perspective control, channels the list is endless then go for CS3. You will probably say some of the things I have listed are in Elements, do you use them, if not leave Photoshop alone. Why not try the 30day free trail that can be download from the Adobe site before buying.
It does seem remarkably cheap to me, is this the full version or an upgrade?
If its an upgrade its doubtful it will upgrade from Elements, I think if its a genuine copy at this price it will only upgrade from version 7 of Photoshop upwards. To upgrade from Elements is much more expensive.

Patrick
Old 16-09-07
Forum veteran

Where did you find that price Joe? I have been trolling the Adobe sites and $299 is not shown anywhere for CS3.
From Elements, or the older Photoshops, an upgrade costs $549, and from 7.0, CS, or CS2 it costs $199.
Do you have a link?

Roger
Old 16-09-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefoto View Post

Thanks,

Joe
Photoshop CS3 has some very powerful imaged editing features - lens correction, vanishing point, superb selection tools, plus more advanced layer-based functions. RAW support is more comprehensive too. I'm not a fan of Bridge as an image library management tool, myself, but it could certainly be used as such.

I do think that price is worth it - but it's a personal decision

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 16-09-07
joefoto

Here's what they sent, Roger. It surely surprised me, but all the liinks appear to be valid.

Joe

Adobe Systems Incorporated <direct@adobesystems.com> to me
show details Aug 27

If this message is not displaying properly, click here to launch your browser.

Turn the perfect shot into the perfect image
With Adobe® Photoshop® Elements software, you've seen how you can bring out the best in your photos. Now, you can get all of the power you ever wanted with new Adobe Photoshop CS3 software for just $299USD — a savings of more than 50% off the full price on the Adobe Store!*

Here are just some of the great new features that are available only in Adobe Photoshop CS3:

Advanced compositing — Create amazing composites and panoramas by automatically aligning and blending two or more images.

Non-destructive Smart Filters — Enjoy experimenting without being afraid of mistakes, because your original image stays intact.

Time-saving Selection Tools — Target the specific areas you want to change or enhance with a wide variety of selection tools.

An offer this good doesn’t last forever. Upgrade online at the Adobe Store by 9/16/07. Please have your promotion code ready.

To order by phone, call 1-800-585-0774 and mention the promotion code.
Exclusive offer for Adobe Photoshop Elements customers

YOUR PROMOTION CODE

1661B31E

You must use your promotion code to receive your discount. Offer ends 9/16/07.

Or, for the special price of $649USD**, order Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended with 3D and motion-graphic editing capabilities.

* The $299USD price offer for Adobe Photoshop CS3 software is available only to licensed users of Photoshop Elements 1.0–5.0 and Adobe Photoshop Elements plus Adobe Premiere Elements bundle who purchase the full version of Photoshop CS3 directly from Adobe.

** The $649USD price offer for Adobe Photosohop CS3 Extended software is available only to licensed users of Photoshop Elements 1.0–5.0 and Adobe Photoshop Elements plus Adobe Premiere Elements bundle who purchase the full version of Photoshop CS3 Extended directly from Adobe.

Each of the prices is redeemable only with your unique promotion code used on Adobe.com or when you call customer service. When purchasing via Adobe.com, you must enter the promotion code into the shopping cart and click “update” prior to checking out. Offer begins 8/27/2007 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT 9/16/2007. Limit one copy of Adobe Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended per customer. Offer is not valid to owners of Photoshop Album, Photoshop Limited Edition, or PhotoDeluxe. Offer is not valid to education or volume licensing customers as well as resellers. Prices are in U.S. dollars. All prices are available from the Adobe.com store and by calling 1-800-585-0774 and are valid in the U.S. and Canada only, excluding Quebec. Applicable local sales taxes may apply and shipping may apply. Allow 2–3 weeks for software delivery. Offer subject to change or withdrawal without notice. Void where prohibited.

Adobe, the Adobe logo, and Photoshop are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

© Copyright 2007 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. To obtain information on how to contact Adobe, visit us on the Web at: http://www.adobe.com/misc/comments.html or call 800-833-6687.

This is an advertising message sent by, or on behalf of, Adobe Systems Incorporated, its affiliates and agents ("Adobe"), 345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110 USA. If you'd prefer not to receive email like this from Adobe in the future, click here or email Adobe at unsubscribe-na@adobesystems.com.

Alternatively, you may mail your unsubscribe request to:
UNSUBSCRIBE
Adobe Systems Incorporated
P.O. Box 2205
Beaverton, OR 97075

Your privacy is important to us. Please review Adobe’s online Privacy Policy by clicking here: www.adobe.com/misc/privacy.html
Old 16-09-07
Forum veteran

Buy it Joe! If you can't get on with it, you will easily find a buyer at that price

Roger