Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > Say hello

Say hello Who are you? Tell us a bit about yourself in our forum guest book; where do you come from, what are your main interests (photographic or otherwise) and how you did you find out about DPNow?

Old 20-10-06
Forum regular

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blank Page is on a distinguished road
Old newbie

Hello from Saskatchewan (or if you can't pronounce that, Canada ). I'm 55 and have been an amateur photographer since about 20, so I'm neither a beginner nor a pro. I made the switch to digital a year ago and have been loving it. It's like having an expensive darkroom without all the chemicals, cleaning up, etc. My camera is a pretty basic Kodak Easy Share CX7525 which I'm satisfied with so far because I'm not overly technical, though it would be nice to have a few more options. I'm more of an off-the-cuff photographer, I don't go out looking for anything in particular, just shoot what appeals to me at the time.

I'm looking forward (with some trepidation, I admit) to getting feedback from people who obviously have more skill than I do, but that's the way to learn.
Old 20-10-06
Admin

Liked at 166 Times in 133 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Old newbie

I like it: 'Old newbie' - welcome to the DPNow forum!

Canada, eh? That's one big hole in my list of countries visited. I missed the ferry to Victoria from Washington State back in about 1994 on our way from Portland to Seattle. It's getting higher up the list of priorities.

There was a debate some while ago on the old DPNow forum about how dependent a photographer is on equipment and the consensus was that a a great photographer can take great pictures with almost anything but a great camera doesn't guarantee great pictures. So when are we going to see some of yours?

We're a very friendly bunch here and from all over the place as well - US, India, Japan, Australia, France, Greece, Hemel Hempstead - you name it

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 20-10-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

55 Old! .. good grief man ya still a youngster

Welcome and I for one am looking forward to seeing something of Canada
Old 20-10-06
Forum regular

Ian,

I agree that good photography is produced by imagination, a way of seeing differently, etc., rather than by technology, but of course I'm biased since I'm a bit of a technical klutz. For now, my little Kodak keeps me satisfied, and I love its portability compared to the big film camera bag with all the lenses and filters and gadgets and stuff, but if I ever wanted to make large prints for display, for instance, I'd need a more sophisticated camera.

Too bad you missed Victoria. Canada's a big country, I'm sure there'd be room for you if you visit .

Pops,

From one Pops to another, thanks for calling me a youngsta . My wife will get a chuckle out of that.

I'd love to show my pictures from my part of the world (I thought you guys would never ask!). I've posted the best from my first year at this site: http://tom343.sasktelwebsite.net/ (non-commercial web space provided by my local ISP).

And thanks to both of you for the welcome. I guess I'm old enough that being able to hang out with like-minded people from around the world still amazes me sometimes, like now.
Old 23-10-06
Forum veteran

Tinka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Page View Post
Hello from Saskatchewan (or if you can't pronounce that, Canada

I'm looking forward (with some trepidation, I admit) to getting feedback from people who obviously have more skill than I do, but that's the way to learn.
Hi Blank Page,
Welcome to the Forum, I'm new here to and there seems to be a good few more comeing on board, some with obvious experience and skills which I hope we can tap into.
Old 24-10-06
Forum regular

Nice to meet you, fellow newbie . The more I see of this site, the more I have to learn, I realize, so I'll likely be tapping into all that expertise on the beginners board more than anywhere else. See you there.
Old 25-10-06
Forum veteran

spl is on a distinguished road

Where about in Canada are you? My brother lives there and I visited him for the first time in 2005 - he's in Toronto and it was July - I have never experienced such heat in my life - absolutely EVERYTHING was air conditioned including bus stops - but they tell me it was hotter than usual so maybe I shouldn't judge on that.
Old 25-10-06
Forum regular

I have a brother living in Toronto too. Maybe it's the same guy .

Toronto gets its share of heat waves and being on the Great Lakes, the humidity makes it worse. Once when I was visiting, the heat was stifling for the whole week. We get the heat here in Saskatchewan at times but not the humidity. Of course, wherever you are in Canada, the climate changes drastically in winter .

No matter what season though, Canada is a very camera-friendly place.
Old 27-10-06
Forum regular

Harry is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Old newbie

Welcome Blank Page. I am also a newbie and when I get time I will get my SO (also a newbie) onto the forums.

We did a three week quickie self-drive tour from Calgary south on the east side of the rockies to Las Vegas, then over to SF and north to Vancouver and back to Calgary. We obviously stopped en-route but absolutely loved SF and Vancouver. Kamloops was a shock in that the temp was 31 C and this was very early May, the highest it had ever been in May.

We have been back to SF and are going back next week and plan to go back to Vancouver for the Winter Olympics in 2010. Canada is one of the friendliest countries we have ever been to and I can't wait to go back so that I can take more fantastic photographs of the scenery that is BC and Calgary / Alberta.

We have something similar in Scotland but not of the same majesty.
Old 27-10-06
Forum regular

Thanks for the welcome, Harry. That sounds like a great tour. You must have seen a lot. Kamloops is in semi-desert country so 31 degrees is common--but not in early May . That must have been a bit of freakish weather.

Majesty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. I see a kind of majesty in the flat prairies where I live, but of course the Rocky Mtns. of B.C. and Alberta aren't bad either . Before I was married, I had some memorable hiking trips up to mountain passes and alpine lakes and meadows. Some of the hikes can be fairly gruelling but even the shorter, easier trails enable you to get up close and personal with the Rockies. I highly recommend it on your next visit if you're up to that kind of thing.

We also have something similar to Scotland in Cape Breton, in the eastern province of Nova Scotia. I haven't been there myself but it's apparently reminiscent of the Scottish highlands and is populated by people named MacDonald, MacTavish, etc. Impromptu parties with singing, dancing and fiddle playing in the kitchen are almost the law there, I hear .
Old 27-10-06
My cup is never empty :-)

Danny Chau is on a distinguished road

Welcome Blank page, me too, a newbie on this forum (probably join the same time as you), but like you I have been taken pictures since I was 13, have been a pro for a few years, only realised that I didn't pursue photography the way I used to after I become a pro. Later decided to quid and become a printer, I have been a happy amateur ever since. By definition, pro and amateur is the way they earn their living, not an indication of their photographic abilities, I often see amateur take better photos than pros, because they have less pressure and more 'HEART' to make better pictures.

Danny 'call me amateur anytime'
Old 01-11-06
Forum regular

Hey amateur , welcome to the club.

I agree, although I admire the commitment a professional must have. I guess we're all professionals in some field (as you are in printing) and for me, it would be a drastic change to shift my commitment. Photography has been a kind of release for me, a temporary escape from which I usually come back refreshed (as long as I get some shots I'm happy with ). If I were to try turning pro, I might not have that avenue of escape open to me. I occasionally consider stock photography, but even that takes some commitment that I'm not sure I can give. So, for the time being, I'm with you.

Yours in amateurism,

BP