Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  
 
advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > Compact digicam centre

Compact digicam centre If you have a question or an interesting point to make about digital camera that isn't a DSLR, post it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-07
lumix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Max capacity

My camera is getting on a bit now, it's a Panasonic FZ20. The hand book states the camera can accommodate a 1gb. card. When the camera was manufactured 1gb. was about the largest available. My question now is would the camera function with a larger capacity card and if so what would be the max I could use.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,040
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 86
Thanked 125 Times in 106 Posts
Likes: 373
Liked at 166 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumix View Post
My camera is getting on a bit now, it's a Panasonic FZ20. The hand book states the camera can accommodate a 1gb. card. When the camera was manufactured 1gb. was about the largest available. My question now is would the camera function with a larger capacity card and if so what would be the max I could use.
Hi Ron - as Panasonic was co-inventor of the SD Card standard, I'd be surprised if you couldn't use a 2GB card, but it's almost certainly not compatible with SDHC cards above 2GB.

But I can check for you - watch this space.

Ian

PS Panasonic doesn't offer a firmware upgrade option for its compact cameras either.
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-07
lumix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Ron - as Panasonic was co-inventor of the SD Card standard, I'd be surprised if you couldn't use a 2GB card, but it's almost certainly not compatible with SDHC cards above 2GB.

But I can check for you - watch this space.

Ian

PS Panasonic doesn't offer a firmware upgrade option for its compact cameras either.
Thanks Ian. I've till now only used the 512 cards which is a safe thing to do. Don't put all your eggs in one basket approach, but there are times when a much larger card would help.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Max capacity

The first dSLR I had was a Nikon D1. I used to use 64mb cards , it was all you needed most of the time. However it was said not to be compatable with a 1GB card. They worked ok actually though the counter would not register how many were used/left untill it got to the point where it could I had a 340mb Microdrive I recall and thought it was brilliant, still have it somewhere, but never use it now.
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,040
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 86
Thanked 125 Times in 106 Posts
Likes: 373
Liked at 166 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The first dSLR I had was a Nikon D1. I used to use 64mb cards , it was all you needed most of the time. However it was said not to be compatable with a 1GB card. They worked ok actually though the counter would not register how many were used/left untill it got to the point where it could I had a 340mb Microdrive I recall and thought it was brilliant, still have it somewhere, but never use it now.
I'm using a SanDisk 16GB Extreme III CF card at the moment

It's in a Canon EOS-30D at the moment and the frame counter won't exceed 999

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-07
lumix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Max capacity

How times have changed. I remember the microdrives that Sinclar computers used. Where next will technology take us?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,040
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 86
Thanked 125 Times in 106 Posts
Likes: 373
Liked at 166 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumix View Post
How times have changed. I remember the microdrives that Sinclar computers used. Where next will technology take us?
3.5 inch hard drives are now hitting 750GB and 2.5 inch drives around 250GB.

But I think the future is solid state - SanDisk has produced a 32GB 2.5 inch solid state flash drive in a 2.5 inch laptop drive format, complete with IDE interface. They could make a much higher capacity version as there is plenty of space inside the unit, but cost would currently be an issue.

For the future, three has been quite a bit of talk about holographic storage and that could potentially offer thousands of times the storage capacity for a given volume of space - hundreds of terabytes, maybe, in a compact flash card perhaps?!

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-07
Caz's Avatar
Caz Caz is offline
Happy Snapper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northamptonshire
Posts: 1,511
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 58
Thanked 33 Times in 33 Posts
Likes: 196
Liked at 68 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Caz is on a distinguished road
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumix View Post
How times have changed. I remember the microdrives that Sinclar computers used. Where next will technology take us?
Little admission here - I used to work for him! This was in the early-mid 70s, before the ZX. When I started, the 'pocket' calculator had just gone on sale - it was about 9 inches long, 3 1/2 inches wide but only about 1/2 inch thick. It was replaced by another, only about 4" long, but 1˝" thick - neither fitted too well in a shirt pocket.

Still have my micromatic matchbox radio, but haven't tried putting batteries in there - when I first started, he was specialising in audio equipment.

By the time I left in 1975, the screen on the tv he developed (eventually sold to casio, I think) was down to about 5". I remember being invited up to R&D to watch the Derby, and being forcibly ejected because my comment was "what's the use of that? you can't see the **** horses! - by someone who went to join Apple in their very early days, I think.

The C5 was also in the early stages of development - at the time, it was an ordinary motorised bicycle which Sir Clive would ride around his office (he had the whole top floor of the factory - an ex paper mill) round and round the billiard table (sorry, board room table ).

Other fond memories include borrowing the chauffeur and the silver shadow on a Friday lunch time and going off down the pub for the afternoon . Those were the days..........

Caz
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-06-07
lumix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Little admission here - I used to work for him! This was in the early-mid 70s, before the ZX. When I started, the 'pocket' calculator had just gone on sale - it was about 9 inches long, 3 1/2 inches wide but only about 1/2 inch thick. It was replaced by another, only about 4" long, but 1˝" thick - neither fitted too well in a shirt pocket.

Still have my micromatic matchbox radio, but haven't tried putting batteries in there - when I first started, he was specialising in audio equipment.

By the time I left in 1975, the screen on the tv he developed (eventually sold to casio, I think) was down to about 5". I remember being invited up to R&D to watch the Derby, and being forcibly ejected because my comment was "what's the use of that? you can't see the **** horses! - by someone who went to join Apple in their very early days, I think.

The C5 was also in the early stages of development - at the time, it was an ordinary motorised bicycle which Sir Clive would ride around his office (he had the whole top floor of the factory - an ex paper mill) round and round the billiard table (sorry, board room table ).

Other fond memories include borrowing the chauffeur and the silver shadow on a Friday lunch time and going off down the pub for the afternoon . Those were the days..........

Caz
My first HiFi, if you can call it that, was one I built round two of his amps. Yes stereo, and those fantastic little speakers with a big sound. You have to give it to him, he did produce some good gear for the time. Shame he got carried away with the C5. That I believe was his downfall. He made computers available to the general public and I owned every model he made, in fact my boy still has them in his loft as keepsakes. As you say the good old days.

Oh and he is still around. http://www.thebubbleburst.co.uk/bb.p...ive%20Sinclair
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-06-07
coupekid's Avatar
coupekid coupekid is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Little admission here - I used to work for him! This was in the early-mid 70s, before the ZX. When I started, the 'pocket' calculator had just gone on sale - it was about 9 inches long, 3 1/2 inches wide but only about 1/2 inch thick. It was replaced by another, only about 4" long, but 1˝" thick - neither fitted too well in a shirt pocket.

Still have my micromatic matchbox radio, but haven't tried putting batteries in there - when I first started, he was specialising in audio equipment.

By the time I left in 1975, the screen on the tv he developed (eventually sold to casio, I think) was down to about 5". I remember being invited up to R&D to watch the Derby, and being forcibly ejected because my comment was "what's the use of that? you can't see the **** horses! - by someone who went to join Apple in their very early days, I think.

The C5 was also in the early stages of development - at the time, it was an ordinary motorised bicycle which Sir Clive would ride around his office (he had the whole top floor of the factory - an ex paper mill) round and round the billiard table (sorry, board room table ).

Other fond memories include borrowing the chauffeur and the silver shadow on a Friday lunch time and going off down the pub for the afternoon . Those were the days..........

Caz

Oh thats very cool!

I learnt to program basic using a ZX81, i even had a little RAM pack on the back (I think it was 16mb)

I rememebr buying magazines so I could program in games......

I think this came out in the early eighties though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-06-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,040
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 86
Thanked 125 Times in 106 Posts
Likes: 373
Liked at 166 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Little admission here - I used to work for him! This was in the early-mid 70s, before the ZX. When I started, the 'pocket' calculator had just gone on sale - it was about 9 inches long, 3 1/2 inches wide but only about 1/2 inch thick. It was replaced by another, only about 4" long, but 1˝" thick - neither fitted too well in a shirt pocket.

Still have my micromatic matchbox radio, but haven't tried putting batteries in there - when I first started, he was specialising in audio equipment.

By the time I left in 1975, the screen on the tv he developed (eventually sold to casio, I think) was down to about 5". I remember being invited up to R&D to watch the Derby, and being forcibly ejected because my comment was "what's the use of that? you can't see the **** horses! - by someone who went to join Apple in their very early days, I think.

The C5 was also in the early stages of development - at the time, it was an ordinary motorised bicycle which Sir Clive would ride around his office (he had the whole top floor of the factory - an ex paper mill) round and round the billiard table (sorry, board room table ).

Other fond memories include borrowing the chauffeur and the silver shadow on a Friday lunch time and going off down the pub for the afternoon . Those were the days..........

Caz
When he was still in the computer business, I used to ring him up at his office to get quotes for stories I was researching. He was always very accommodating and a pleasure to talk to

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-06-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,040
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 86
Thanked 125 Times in 106 Posts
Likes: 373
Liked at 166 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
Oh thats very cool!

I learnt to program basic using a ZX81, i even had a little RAM pack on the back (I think it was 16mb)

I rememebr buying magazines so I could program in games......

I think this came out in the early eighties though.
Hehe! You mean 16K - only 1000 times out

I had a few programs for the BBC Micro published in some of the magazines of the time - a Mastermind game, for one.

Then a few years later I started writing about computers for one of the magazines - as technical editor.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-06-07
coupekid's Avatar
coupekid coupekid is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hehe! You mean 16K - only 1000 times out

I had a few programs for the BBC Micro published in some of the magazines of the time - a Mastermind game, for one.

Then a few years later I started writing about computers for one of the magazines - as technical editor.

Ian
lol yep, that was it!

Ah yes, the BBC model B, thats another one I had when I was at school. I used to write programs on that to test me on formulae for school, quadratic, areas etc....god...I am starting to sound like a right geek!

by the way...do you remember Chuckie Egg?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-06-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,040
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 86
Thanked 125 Times in 106 Posts
Likes: 373
Liked at 166 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Max capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
lol yep, that was it!

Ah yes, the BBC model B, thats another one I had when I was at school. I used to write programs on that to test me on formulae for school, quadratic, areas etc....god...I am starting to sound like a right geek!

by the way...do you remember Chuckie Egg?
I preferred Snapper, Defender and Elite

Julia told me she was into Chuckie Egg, but only because it had a cheat mode installed

Ian

PS Sophie, a Pentax *istD user who used to post on the old DPNow forum, was the programmer behind BBC Basic and she was also part of the team that designed the ARM RISC processor, which most mobile phones and PDAs now have derivatives of - in fact more ARM chips have been produced than all the AMD and Intel CPUs for PCs.
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-06-07
lumix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Max capacity

It's good to look back down memory road. I don't feel half as old now I know you lot also remember.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Western Digital announced that its new 250 GB capacity WD Passport® Portable Drive DPNow Latest DPNow articles 0 06-06-07 02:14 PM
SanDisk introduces Largest Capacity of the World's Smallest Flash Card DPNow Latest DPNow articles 0 12-02-07 01:52 PM
With the 8GB Memory Stick PRO Duo, Sony doubles its storage capacity DPNow Latest DPNow articles 0 08-01-07 12:40 PM
PNY Technologies announces availability of 4GB SD High Capacity card DPNow Latest DPNow articles 0 05-12-06 12:00 AM
BoxWave announces two new Standard Capacity Batteries DPNow Latest DPNow articles 0 14-11-06 11:01 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 PM.


© Digital Photography Now, 2001-2017, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger