Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > Eye of the camera

Eye of the camera Use this board to post your photos and to tell us about the scene you set out to capture. Don't forget that the best place for *critique* in order see how your photography might be improved, technically, remains the Image Insight Photo critique board.

Old 06-01-07
Forum regular

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harry is on a distinguished road
Re: DPNow Mini Meet-Up...

This is definitely my favourite among a lot of very classy shots.

Did you get very wet from the salt water?

Old 06-01-07
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Hi Harry, the above shot was taken at Fleetwood just North of Blackpool, there wasn't a problem with saltwater there. However on the front at Blackpool it was a different story as the waves were crashing up on the promenade, as you can see by someof the photos in the gallery. You just had to be careful, and make sure you sheilded the camera from spray. TBH I got caught twice as the water raced over the pavement, got my shoes and trousers soaked, much to the delight of the others

The gallery is well into 2 pages now btw

Check out my BLOG too

Old 06-01-07
Ancient Geek

Liked at 82 Times in 71 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
TBH I got caught twice as the water raced over the pavement, got my shoes and trousers soaked, much to the delight of the others
See - what'd I tell ya about the army surplus outdoor supplies? Yi shudda got yerself one of the wateproof ponchos. You can use them as a 'hide' or even sleep under them all warm and cosy as yer waiting for the mobile soup kitchen.

Here's the link .... again. You'd have been a sensation on the prom wiv one of these. Click on "more info" to see how it can be used as a hide/tent.

Coulda been spotted by DJN or JW and featured on one of the blogs. The possibilities are endless innit, eh.

Pol
Old 06-01-07
Happy Snapper

Liked at 68 Times in 50 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road

Absolutely cracking shots - several favourites: "Oh sh...", "I may be gone", "Stephen and Tim", "Last shot" and "Surf's up", but my favourite has to be

Caz

Old 06-01-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 56 Times in 47 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

It just goes to show that you do not need good weather to get good shots. Congratultions to all three of you. I have really enjoyed seeing these well exposed, sharp stormy images in such terrible weather.

ATM these are my favourites:

Stephen - Surfs Up
Tim - Mum's gonn Kill Me
Andrew - Blackpool Pier

Just a query here http://dpnow.com/galleries/showphoto...ze/big/cat/665
Why is Tim's avatar on Andrew's picture in Stephen's Gallery? In fact Tim's avatar is in quite a few of them. Is it a mistake or did he have an input to these images? Obviously I mean the one's he didn't take.

Second query:

How did you manage to keep your lenses dry. Is is because you have such long lenses you can hide in a building and just zoom in?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 06-01-07
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
It just goes to show that you do not need good weather to get good shots. Congratultions to all three of you. I have really enjoyed seeing these well exposed, sharp stormy images in such terrible weather.

ATM these are my favourites:

Stephen - Surfs Up
Tim - Mum's gonn Kill Me
Andrew - Blackpool Pier

Just a query here http://dpnow.com/galleries/showphoto...ze/big/cat/665
Why is Tim's avatar on Andrew's picture in Stephen's Gallery? In fact Tim's avatar is in quite a few of them. Is it a mistake or did he have an input to these images? Obviously I mean the one's he didn't take.

Second query:

How did you manage to keep your lenses dry. Is is because you have such long lenses you can hide in a building and just zoom in?
Hi Audrey, and indeed anyone else who was puzzled by this. I created the gallery in order to show a selection of images from all us. However as Andrew does not have Admin rights, he was unable to post in my gallery. Tim can however, so he has not only added his own shots but also Andrews too, consequently his Avatar shows.

As for lenses, you just have to shield them as best you can

Check out my BLOG too

Old 06-01-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 56 Times in 47 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Hi Audrey, and indeed anyone else who was puzzled by this. I created the gallery in order to show a selection of images from all us. However as Andrew does not have Admin rights, he was unable to post in my gallery. Tim can however, so he has not only added his own shots but also Andrews too, consequently his Avatar shows.

As for lenses, you just have to shield them as best you can

You know what they say about "Curiosity?" Anyway, thanks for the info.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 06-01-07
Forum veteran

Bearface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
This one's very striking. At first glance I thought he was riding through the start of a blizzard.

Pol
Yeah, the foamy mist did look kinda wintery as it fell. This little guy was riding right up against the sea wall with his pal and they actually came over to Andrew and I (I can only assume that Stephen scared them a bit, as they waited until he'd walked further up the prom before they approached us... ) to enquire as to whether we were shooting for the Gazette, which must be the local paper.

Anyway, I suggested they continue riding close to the barrier and without even asking for money or cigarettes, they duly obliged, so we were able to get ourselves a safe distance from the waves and zoom in for these shots. Bless 'em...
Old 06-01-07
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
Yeah, the foamy mist did look kinda wintery as it fell. This little guy was riding right up against the sea wall with his pal and they actually came over to Andrew and I (I can only assume that Stephen scared them a bit, as they waited until he'd walked further up the prom before they approached us... ) to enquire as to whether we were shooting for the Gazette, which must be the local paper.

Anyway, I suggested they continue riding close to the barrier and without even asking for money or cigarettes, they duly obliged, so we were able to get ourselves a safe distance from the waves and zoom in for these shots. Bless 'em...

Yeah, it always surprises but pleases me when kids don't ask for a ciggie or "a few quid fer a few pints missus".

Incidentally - there's a link to all the online regionals HERE- maybe the "Gazette" (or one of the agencies) might like to see one or two of those pictures? It's a fantastic selection and I wouldn't have thought there'd be many like some of those, especially the ones of the kids 'biking the surf'.

The foam sometimes blows over the sea walls near Camber sands too. Sometimes it blows over onto the road and it can look like soapy foam from leaky washing machine. Unfortunately there aren't many suitable places to stop and the crosswind can be hairy at those times too, so I never got any shots ... yet.

Pol
Old 06-01-07
Ancient Geek

Quote:

Incidentally - there's a link to all the online regionals HERE- maybe the "Gazette" (or one of the agencies) might like to see one or two of those pictures? It's a fantastic selection and I wouldn't have thought there'd be many like some of those, especially the ones of the kids 'biking the surf'.

Pol

Here's a link to the Gazette and it carries a link to the Fleetwod edition, complete with tide times.

I can't help wondering how many 'sucked off' shoes and wellies have been lost in all that mud. I was also thinking about the time DJN and JW got stuck out there and had to sepnd the night on one of the wrecks. It must have been perishing cold and quite frightening.

Pol
Old 06-01-07
Forum veteran

bigbob is on a distinguished road

I always enjoy mes with fellow photographers to exchange views and sometimes air a few differences which crop up from time to time
I've had several from different forums and at the moment i'm trying to get a get together with members of the f-mount forum around the midlands in the spring .
On the subject of tripods and get togethers , last Oct a few of us had a mini-meet in London and a Scottish photographer set up her tripod to shoot St Pauls , before you could say ''jack robinson'' a police car showed up and told her to lose the tripod or get arrested , it seems handholding is fine but tripods look like rocket launchers in the capital and are banned .
Some terific pictures taken on your meet Stephen , it shows you don't need good weather to get great shots (just as well) , well done all three of you .

B..
Old 06-01-07
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
I always enjoy mes with fellow photographers to exchange views and sometimes air a few differences which crop up from time to time
I've had several from different forums and at the moment i'm trying to get a get together with members of the f-mount forum around the midlands in the spring .
On the subject of tripods and get togethers , last Oct a few of us had a mini-meet in London and a Scottish photographer set up her tripod to shoot St Pauls , before you could say ''jack robinson'' a police car showed up and told her to lose the tripod or get arrested , it seems handholding is fine but tripods look like rocket launchers in the capital and are banned .
Some terific pictures taken on your meet Stephen , it shows you don't need good weather to get great shots (just as well) , well done all three of you .

B..
I've noticed that if you are a surveyor you can put your tripod up anywhere, stick a camera on one and the world and her army jump on you.
Old 07-01-07
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumix View Post
I've noticed that if you are a surveyor you can put your tripod up anywhere, stick a camera on one and the world and her army jump on you.
There a report about a 'jobsworth in uniform' HERE.

Pol
Old 07-01-07
lumix

Quote:
There a report about a 'jobsworth in uniform' HERE.

Pol
That just takes the biscuit. You never know where you are going to end up when you go out with a camera. Can understand to a point, as if someone was killed then yes it automatically becomes a crime scene. But to get arrested in such a manner seems well over the top.
Old 07-01-07
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumix View Post
That just takes the biscuit. You never know where you are going to end up when you go out with a camera. Can understand to a point, as if someone was killed then yes it automatically becomes a crime scene. But to get arrested in such a manner seems well over the top.
Yeah well - some ploddies aren't the brightest bulbs in their little box.

Pol