Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 02-07-07
lumix

Treatment

Flowers are not my favorite subject and I always find it difficult to present them in an acceptable way. Please tell me what you think of the treatment applied to this image. Dose it do the flower justice?

Last edited by lumix; 02-07-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-07-07
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumix View Post
Flowers are not my favorite subject and I always find it difficult to present them in an acceptable way. Please tell me what you think of the treatment applied to this image. Dose it do the flower justice?

I like the idea of the flower spilling out of the frame. However, I'm not keen on the colours and pattern of the frame, which detracts from the blooms imho.

I also feel the colours and pattern are too Autumnal for a bright and Summery bloom.

Pol
Old 02-07-07
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
I like the idea of the flower spilling out of the frame. However, I'm not keen on the colours and pattern of the frame, which detracts from the blooms imho.

I also feel the colours and pattern are too Autumnal for a bright and Summery bloom.

Pol
Thanks Pol, I agree with your thoughts here. My first choice was for a pal grey frame. Then I found I could pick a colour out of the image to tint the frame. I picked the colour from the centre of the flower and this is what I got. Must say it's not working for me either. Will have to play around a bit more but I'm not really sure what will give me the desired effect. Any idea what colour would work here.
Old 02-07-07
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Thanks Pol, I agree with your thoughts here. My first choice was for a pal grey frame. Then I found I could pick a colour out of the image to tint the frame. I picked the colour from the centre of the flower and this is what I got. Must say it's not working for me either. Will have to play around a bit more but I'm not really sure what will give me the desired effect. Any idea what colour would work here.

Blimey Ron ....... you're asking another old 'perisher' who was unceremoniously kicked out of Art Classes during her teens and was never allowed back in.

I was just discussing it with Gert and we concluded that a plain frame might be better than a pattern and one of the dark greens might be worth trying first. A dark colour to match and blend with the background foliage.

Pol
Old 02-07-07
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Blimey Ron ....... you're asking another old 'perisher' who was unceremoniously kicked out of Art Classes during her teens and was never allowed back in.

I was just discussing it with Gert and we concluded that a plain frame might be better than a pattern and one of the dark greens might be worth trying first. A dark colour to match and blend with the background foliage.

Pol
I'll give that a go. I just tried a plain frame in pink and that went straight in the bin. Green sounds a better idea.
At leased you can say you went to art classes, they wouldn't let me anywhere near the place. I was always sent out to weed the gardens. Now you know why I don't particularly like flowers.
Old 02-07-07
Ancient Geek

Quote:
At leased you can say you went to art classes, they wouldn't let me anywhere near the place. I was always sent out to weed the gardens. Now you know why I don't particularly like flowers.
I wasn't a 'proper' art class. It was the 'O' level art classes I was slung out from. I was sent *home* in disgrace to face irate parents. I'd much rather have been sent to weed a garden rather than face my parents.

Pol
Old 02-07-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

I agree with Pol, excellent idea, but not that frame.

Have you considered an 'in your face' black frame, the impact may just work?
Old 02-07-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

I like the 3D effect of the flowers but agree with everyone else about the frame.
I'm with coupekid on this and would go for black ... having said that I am pretty biased on this because 95% of my flower shots have black backgrounds.
Old 02-07-07
lumix

Thanks everyone for your help. I've revamped this now. Hope one of them is OK, but which? Sorry to be a pain this is getting to me now.

PS hit F11 on your keyboard to see all of the image in one go. Hit F11 again to return to normal view.

Old 03-07-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

No 2 is definately out for me.
Although I have a preference for the black frame of No1 I find No3 very appealing. I very much like the inner bevel presentation which gives the impression of the frame and the photograph being 2 different pieces of work. Even the portion of the flower spilling over appears to have no contact with the frame. The frame design also blends in very quietly and is not a distraction.
Old 03-07-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help. I've revamped this now. Hope one of them is OK, but which? Sorry to be a pain this is getting to me now.

PS hit F11 on your keyboard to see all of the image in one go. Hit F11 again to return to normal view.
I like them all, but the first one is by far and away the best in my opinion.

By the way...how big is your screen to be be able to see all three images at the same time
Old 03-07-07

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
fluffy penguin is on a distinguished road

I like no:1 and no:3
but number 1 has to be a favourite

love the way the colour of the flower stand so well out against the black.
Just had a look again and number 3 is brilliant in the way the it looks 3d and the flower is trying to escape the confines of the frame.

my next question is where do I find instructions on how to do that and the frames.

is that technique called wrap around?
Old 03-07-07
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
I like them all, but the first one is by far and away the best in my opinion.

By the way...how big is your screen to be be able to see all three images at the same time
Hi Ben, It's big but sadly not that big. What I said was to see all of the image, not all of the images.

FP I'm not sure what it's called. I don't use Photoshop or Painshop, just a cheap editing prog. from Microsoft. It's really very easy to do this. First select the part of the image you want to be over the frame. Copy this selection. Now go back to the original image and crop and frame it to fit. Once this is done, paste the selected part back over the original and adjust so as it covers part of the frame. Job done. Very easy and no layers or complicated actions. That's why I use the prog. I can't be bothered with all that malarkey in the expensive editors. Simple and effective, just like me.
Out of all the images above, I think the last one is slightly better.
Old 03-07-07
Ancient Geek

They're all nice imo, though the 3rd one would be my last choice as I'm never quite so keen on patterned frames.

I think maybe I like the 2nd one best (green frame) The black also looks good.

All of them pleasant and nicely done though.

Pol
Old 03-07-07

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
ronnie is on a distinguished road

I prefer the first one the black doesn't detract from the image, greens Ok The last one is just to busy, Only a personal opinion. I like the effect it has a feeling of depth