Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Hard copy > Ink jet photo printers and printing

Ink jet photo printers and printing Problem with your ink jet printer or are you exploring ways of making your prints ever more vibrant and pleasing. Post your ink jet printer posers here.

Old 12-01-07
Another deadbeat wannabe

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
guymclaren is on a distinguished road
Which Printer

I am going to be buying a wide format printer in a few weeks. I have been surfing and have seen the Z2100 and Z3100 from HP. What are the other equivalent printers and what do you recommend.

I want to print on roll, and also canvas. I want something reliable, with reasonable costs. Everything is more expensive here in South Africa. I don't want to have to replace for 2-3 years at the minimum.
Old 13-01-07
My cup is never empty :-)

Danny Chau is on a distinguished road
Re: Which Printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymclaren View Post
I am going to be buying a wide format printer in a few weeks. I have been surfing and have seen the Z2100 and Z3100 from HP. What are the other equivalent printers and what do you recommend.

I want to print on roll, and also canvas. I want something reliable, with reasonable costs. Everything is more expensive here in South Africa. I don't want to have to replace for 2-3 years at the minimum.
Hi Guy, From my personal experience, the HP's Z2100/3100's paper compatibility is not as good as Epson's 7800, nor paper handling, it may seem that the HP is cheaper from the ink usage point of view, but the replacement of print heads is another point to bear in mind. The Epson 7800 is Epson's 4th generation unit, it has proven to be quite a work horse, I do agree that the Epson's ink do cost more than HP's, but unless something seriously wrong with the print head, they usually last the life time of printer. So before you make your final purchase, do check out the Epson unit as well, if you intend to print thick canvas, then the Epson would be a better bet with the externally fit manual cutter.

Danny Chau
Old 13-01-07
Another deadbeat wannabe

Thanks Danny I will investigate the Epson as well.
Old 14-01-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 3 Posts
JSR is on a distinguished road

If you intend to print glossy prints, consider that the Epson K3 printers exhibit a small degree of gloss differential. I understand the HP Z3100 incorporates a "gloss enhancer" - which I believe acts like the "gloss optimiser" of Epson's R1800 in that it fills in the gaps of little-to-no-ink to create a consistent gloss finish to the print. Only the HP Z3100 and the Epson R1800/800 have this feature. It may not be an issue to you, in which case it's not worth mentioning.
Old 15-01-07
Another deadbeat wannabe

The K3 is 25% more expensive than the Z, In Rands thats a serious difference, Looks like it will be the Z2100 after all.