Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions > Living with Lightroom

Living with Lightroom The DPNow forum place for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom discussion

Old 04-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting into LR 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
I've really tried to like this software but have failed miserably to do so thus far.

I'm already using DxO, CS3, Picasa2, ZoomBrowser, PTGui and Photomatix and, from what I can see, LR should have the ability to replace some of these, either fully or partially. I'm just not getting something - it must be good and really useful because Stephen, Roger and Patrick think so...

v2 also runs quite slowly at times on my 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad CPU with 4GB RAM.
I would have thought Lightroom would replace DxO (except for in comprehensive lens correction facility), Picasa2, Zoombrowser, dont know anything about Photomatix so couldn't say. Now I know from past posts you love DxO in which case I can't see Lightroom as being of much use to you. Except for that wonderful new brush its nothing like anything offered to date.

Patrick
Old 04-08-08
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've really tried to like this software but have failed miserably to do so thus far.

I'm already using DxO, CS3, Picasa2, ZoomBrowser, PTGui and Photomatix and, from what I can see, LR should have the ability to replace some of these, either fully or partially. I'm just not getting something - it must be good and really useful because Stephen, Roger and Patrick think so...

v2 also runs quite slowly at times on my 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad CPU with 4GB RAM.
I'd be interested to know what it is you can't get to grips with Stuart. I'll admit its a different concept to DxO. I tried that with the Beta Mac version, but couldn't see it as part of my workflow. The lens adjustment element of it does seem good, but frankly I struggled to get the Beta version to work, and I have heard some bad tales about the program in other forums. However if it works for you then I'd stick with it.

Lightroom will replace Picasa and Zoombrowser IMO though if you want to use the Picasa web galleries, that could be useful.

For me LR organises my photography, it keeps track of where everything is, and makes searchable keywording really easy. The develop module with the ACR adjustments is now better than the one in CS3 or pretty much any other program. LR also has a pretty nifty Print and Web module which I particularly find useful. As a result I find myself not using CS3 anywhere near as much as I did.

I'd highly recommend looking at the tutorial vids at http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom2/ I know they are essentially doing a selling job on LR but the tutorials are useful and the discussion in the last couple are interesting. Their enthusiasm for this program is infectious and cannot be denied.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 04-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 15 Times in 12 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road

It's the comprehensive lens correction facility that really makes me like DxO so much Patrick! - it absolutely transforms images taken with my workhorse lens (Canon EF-S 17-85mm). Another plus is the DxO lens softness control which, totally the opposite of what its name suggests, does a cracking job sharpening images based on an individual lens' design "flaws".

However, whilst going through the pains that accompanied the release of the latest version of DxO5 (v5) I was forced to resort to ACR and the PTLens plug-in (lens geometry correction for 15!) and I have to admit that I got quite comfortable with them - I didn't realise that ACR in Lightroom is different to that in CS3?

Picasa and ZoomBrowser I use because I have them - I'd be just as happy using something else if it had similar functions. I don't use Picasa's web galleries (although I have tried them out) nor do I normally use any of its "quick fixes" (although I've found them to be quite good when I have used them - which is annoying when you've spent half an hour processing the image via DxO & CS3 beforehand!).

One thing that Picasa is good at is keeping track of images as and when they're moved and created, given that the folders are being monitored. I normally leave it running in the background so things are always up to date. I've not really given LR the chance to test that area so perhaps I should. My biggest personal weakness, however, is cataloguing images - I just don't do it. I tend to keep my images in folders by shooting date and keep the file names as is. RAW files in the base folder and tiff / jpg / PSD output in separate sub-folders. When my pictures folder gets to about 50 gig I rename it and start again so I'm now up to "pictures 8" . Stop laughing! I know that's a pretty naff method and I sometimes spend hours looking for a specific image or set of images (and occasionally never find them due to "thumbnail blindness"). I do find I'm better at remembering dates than I used to be though .

I once bought Adobe Photo Album (v2 IIRC), spent hours keying keywords / allocating categories against images and then I moved the images to a different drive and lost all the reference data. I was pretty mad at the time and I guess this is why I have a hang-up with cataloguing software. How good is LR when it comes to keeping the images and their related data linked together?

I guess I need to spend a bit more time with LR and perhaps then I'll be able to answer my own questions

DxO 5.2 is reasonably stable BTW, and runs pretty fast on my box..unlike LR2 at the moment but no doubt Adobe will release an update patch soon.

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 04-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's the comprehensive lens correction facility that really makes me like DxO so much Patrick! - it absolutely transforms images taken with my workhorse lens (Canon EF-S 17-85mm). Another plus is the DxO lens softness control which, totally the opposite of what its name suggests, does a cracking job sharpening images based on an individual lens' design "flaws".

However, whilst going through the pains that accompanied the release of the latest version of DxO5 (v5) I was forced to resort to ACR and the PTLens plug-in (lens geometry correction for 15!) and I have to admit that I got quite comfortable with them - I didn't realise that ACR in Lightroom is different to that in CS3?

Picasa and ZoomBrowser I use because I have them - I'd be just as happy using something else if it had similar functions. I don't use Picasa's web galleries (although I have tried them out) nor do I normally use any of its "quick fixes" (although I've found them to be quite good when I have used them - which is annoying when you've spent half an hour processing the image via DxO & CS3 beforehand!).

One thing that Picasa is good at is keeping track of images as and when they're moved and created, given that the folders are being monitored. I normally leave it running in the background so things are always up to date. I've not really given LR the chance to test that area so perhaps I should. My biggest personal weakness, however, is cataloguing images - I just don't do it. I tend to keep my images in folders by shooting date and keep the file names as is. RAW files in the base folder and tiff / jpg / PSD output in separate sub-folders. When my pictures folder gets to about 50 gig I rename it and start again so I'm now up to "pictures 8" . Stop laughing! I know that's a pretty naff method and I sometimes spend hours looking for a specific image or set of images (and occasionally never find them due to "thumbnail blindness"). I do find I'm better at remembering dates than I used to be though .

I once bought Adobe Photo Album (v2 IIRC), spent hours keying keywords / allocating categories against images and then I moved the images to a different drive and lost all the reference data. I was pretty mad at the time and I guess this is why I have a hang-up with cataloguing software. How good is LR when it comes to keeping the images and their related data linked together?

I guess I need to spend a bit more time with LR and perhaps then I'll be able to answer my own questions

DxO 5.2 is reasonably stable BTW, and runs pretty fast on my box..unlike LR2 at the moment but no doubt Adobe will release an update patch soon.

Hi Stuart
Now I can see the value on occasions for some lens correction, but I can't see any modern lens being so bad it require routine correction. I used some correction on the Butterfly I posted, (the basic version in Lightroom), to correct slight aberrations as a result of using a 2x converter, normally I find its not necessary just normal sharpening. The method I use can only be done in CS3, the improved sharpening in Lightroom worked very well on the Butterfly though.
As to the Library in Lighroom I personally would be more than happy if it weren't there. That is the one area I dislike would much prefer at least the option if the Library is not wanted of a conventional browser. I have a filing system that works for me. at the beginning of the year I great a folder called this year surprise surprise 2008, within that each shoot is named by location or type, for example a studio session would be "Studio" and the "Date" within that I create a "Finished" folder for the finished pictures I will also include an "In Work" folder.
I can find anything quickly. To use these image I have imported my system into Lightroom, I tag nothing with Keyname or anything.

The Library would appear to be the nub of these speed problems. The speed problems I have read about would appear to be PC's rather than Mac's.

Patrick
Old 04-08-08
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hi Stuart
Now I can see the value on occasions for some lens correction, but I can't see any modern lens being so bad it require routine correction. I used some correction on the Butterfly I posted, (the basic version in Lightroom), to correct slight aberrations as a result of using a 2x converter, normally I find its not necessary just normal sharpening. The method I use can only be done in CS3, the improved sharpening in Lightroom worked very well on the Butterfly though.
As to the Library in Lighroom I personally would be more than happy if it weren't there. That is the one area I dislike would much prefer at least the option if the Library is not wanted of a conventional browser. I have a filing system that works for me. at the beginning of the year I great a folder called this year surprise surprise 2008, within that each shoot is named by location or type, for example a studio session would be "Studio" and the "Date" within that I create a "Finished" folder for the finished pictures I will also include an "In Work" folder.
I can find anything quickly. To use these image I have imported my system into Lightroom, I tag nothing with Keyname or anything.

The Library would appear to be the nub of these speed problems. The speed problems I have read about would appear to be PC's rather than Mac's.

Patrick
I'll let you know what I think about that when I get my disc and install it on my laptop.

There has been mention made of using the graduated filter and how jerky it is. I played with it this afternoon and found it superb. Just selecting the tool and dragging the mouse down from the top to create the graduation does the job. But you can tilt it to any angle and then apply exposure adjustment after the event + or - I have also found that there is no jerkyness if the control is applied after the mask is brushed on

LR2 is doing stuff you cannot do even in the latest ACR in CS3.
Exporting as a Smart object has also been a revelation to me, and gives us the ability to export to CS3 then use ACR again withing PS.

Check out my BLOG too