Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  
 
advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-04-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,333
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 155 Times in 133 Posts
Likes: 435
Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Ian,

I don't know if you were referring to my comment or generally in the thread, but anyway, I was talking about Tim's earlier post which had as follows:


In these cases, all that happens is that many non-Canon users gleefully assume that it's a camera issue, and before you know it they're posting all kinds of nonsense about their own brands being superior etc, etc. It's mostly harmless fun of course, but there are those who actually draw conclusions from such misinformation and the consequences can often be, erm........tedious


which really is not a professional statement taking into account other peoples entitled opinion that have participated to this thread and generally contributed to this website.
Personal opinion is fine to express, but personal opinion on other peoples personal opinions is wise to express often leading to mistakes.


George
OK, well I (sorry, meant 'he') think was being a bit light-hearted there; as indicated by his smiley. I started by making a fairly serious and objective comment right at the beginning, but soon after that - I think to lighten the impact of the consensus on Brian (we love you really, Brian! ) - the thread became quite jokey, so it's difficult to tell who was being serious later on and who was being, well, sarcastic!

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
  #32  
Old 03-04-07
coupekid's Avatar
coupekid coupekid is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Ian,

I don't know if you were referring to my comment or generally in the thread, but anyway, I was talking about Tim's earlier post which had as follows:


In these cases, all that happens is that many non-Canon users gleefully assume that it's a camera issue, and before you know it they're posting all kinds of nonsense about their own brands being superior etc, etc. It's mostly harmless fun of course, but there are those who actually draw conclusions from such misinformation and the consequences can often be, erm........tedious


which really is not a professional statement taking into account other peoples entitled opinion that have participated to this thread and generally contributed to this website.
Personal opinion is fine to express, but personal opinion on other peoples personal opinions is wise to express often leading to mistakes and underestimation of other fellow photographers.
I don't think is done intentionally, but I think it should be thought better before written and that is why I called it "unsuccessful".


George
George,

I understand what your saying, but I think Tim was giving a humourous 'dig' at a somewhat biased comparison between the two cameras.

In my opinion, obviously people can give their opinions, and show their comparisons. But when doing so, its best to make them a 'fair' comparison.

Cheers,
Ben
__________________
  #33  
Old 03-04-07
himmelblau's Avatar
himmelblau himmelblau is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 162
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
himmelblau is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Talking of Pentax, a friend on the Disabled Photographers Society forum has one which is only 6MP and he takes great shots of motor bike races.

Sometimes I wish I had kept my Nikon D70s, as it gave some very good images. For me, I think I should stick to the one camera and learn to master that then perhaps I can improve on my photographic skills and if I ever manage that one, I'll try mastering Photoshop.

I too have enjoyed the banter, reminds me of the military sense of humour.

Anyways, I'm keeeping the Nikon as that will be the biggest challenge for me. So, to Canon and Pentax users enjoy your choice in product and it takes all sorts to make a world and as long as your not hurting anyone by using a Canon or a Pentax I don't have a problem with it.

Brian
__________________
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St Augustine




  #34  
Old 03-04-07
Bearface Bearface is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Hmm...how come I missed this!

Tim, I think you should recall your unsuccessful previous last statement, which I just read, about this "nonsense" thing, that it is the 2nd or 3rd time you wrote in a thread since not all of us are used into a such provocative style of writing and treatment.
Besides that I didn't see anywhere in the thread any Canon's wounded pride.


George
Oh dear. Oh dear me....

There's more than a hint of righteous indignation in your wording here, but I'm happy to ignore it for the simple reason that (as several people have pointed out already) you have totally misunderstood both what I said and in what context I was saying it. I just wish you'd have checked with me privately before making this sweeping judgement, as your embarrassment could have been avoided.

Something tells me you'll find a way to justify your error, but that's perfectly okay because I'd expect nothing else.
Still, I forgive you George, as I always do when these things happen

Last edited by Bearface; 03-04-07 at 11:37 PM.
  #35  
Old 03-04-07
Pol's Avatar
Pol Pol is offline
Ancient Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Kent, UK
Posts: 5,613
Thanks: 174
Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
Likes: 299
Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmelblau View Post
Talking of Pentax, a friend on the Disabled Photographers Society forum has one which is only 6MP and he takes great shots of motor bike races.

Sometimes I wish I had kept my Nikon D70s, as it gave some very good images. For me, I think I should stick to the one camera and learn to master that then perhaps I can improve on my photographic skills and if I ever manage that one, I'll try mastering Photoshop.

I too have enjoyed the banter, reminds me of the military sense of humour.

Anyways, I'm keeeping the Nikon as that will be the biggest challenge for me. So, to Canon and Pentax users enjoy your choice in product and it takes all sorts to make a world and as long as your not hurting anyone by using a Canon or a Pentax I don't have a problem with it.

Brian

My original Pentax *istD is 6 megapixels and I loved it from the time I first held it. It's a super little camera, a tiny little dSLR that I could just about shove into my pocket. I upgraded to the K10D in January and am still getting used to it, not had enough decent weather to have had much of a chance to use it much as yet. I also have a Canon G3 prosumer that gets used for quick snaps and that one also gets nicked occasionally by one of our sons.

As for you and Photoshop . I'd say go for it and enjoy it. It's a brilliant programme with superb tools and potential for hours of fun as you make your way over the never ending learning curve. I truly love Photoshop and have been on the endless learning curve since 1997/98 when I started off with version 4.... and still getting my head around the tools and regarding myself as a beginner. It's an awesome proggie imho.

One of my greatest joys is when an parcel of prints is delivered from Photobox and I open them and scrutinise them to see

a) how close the colours are compared to that of my screen

b) how my post processing has worked out on the prints.


I guess it would be fair to say I'm basically a Photoshop geek with a couple of cameras to justify my PS geekery.

The main thing is to enjoy your hobby and enjoy your kit and don't take it all too seriously.

Polly
  #36  
Old 03-04-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
I guess it would be fair to say I'm basically a Photoshop geek with a couple of cameras to justify my PS geekery.

Polly
Just imagine Pol if you had a Panasonic you'd be deprived of all that fun Only joking you panny lovers
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


  #37  
Old 03-04-07
yoshi's Avatar
yoshi yoshi is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 874
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
yoshi is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post

The main thing is to enjoy your hobby and enjoy your kit and don't take it all too seriously.
Yep!


yoshi
  #38  
Old 03-04-07
Pol's Avatar
Pol Pol is offline
Ancient Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Kent, UK
Posts: 5,613
Thanks: 174
Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
Likes: 299
Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Just imagine Pol if you had a Panasonic you'd be deprived of all that fun Only joking you panny lovers

I daren't even mention Pannys here at home. Remember that photo I once showed you of David grinning and drooling as he was looking in Jessop's shop window during the January Sales (when he'd been supposed to be watching out for my safety as I was doing street shots)

Well it was a Panny he was drooling over. He wanted it and I had to be kinda 'firm' about it 'cos I reckon he has quite enough in his collection .... don't you?

Pol
  #39  
Old 03-04-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
...............'cos I reckon he has quite enough in his collection .... don't you?

Pol
I reckon he has more cameras than anyone I know
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


  #40  
Old 03-04-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,333
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 155 Times in 133 Posts
Likes: 435
Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Just imagine Pol if you had a Panasonic you'd be deprived of all that fun Only joking you panny lovers
Hrrmph! Tis not the camera but the wally pressing the shutter button that really counts!
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
  #41  
Old 04-04-07
Archangel Archangel is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Archangel is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
George,

I understand what your saying, but I think Tim was giving a humourous 'dig' at a somewhat biased comparison between the two cameras.

In my opinion, obviously people can give their opinions, and show their comparisons. But when doing so, its best to make them a 'fair' comparison.

Cheers,
Ben
Ben,

I do a agree with what you said about fair comparisons and didn't argue for the opposite. Though I don't find the comparison biased. I find it not so well prepared or documented and until its full completion by Brian opinions stay opinions, facts are to be anticipated and I see no reason for accusations of any style, even humorous.

Though too many things were written in the way they were written to be humorous and it was the second or the third time of this "nonsense" thing to be humorous coincidence.

George
  #42  
Old 04-04-07
Pol's Avatar
Pol Pol is offline
Ancient Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Kent, UK
Posts: 5,613
Thanks: 174
Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
Likes: 299
Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I reckon he has more cameras than anyone I know
As a mater of fact he's talking about getting rid of all his old film cameras, thank goodness! He said he was going to chuck them on a skip but I've persuaded him either to sell them. I'll believe it when it happens though 'cos I've heard it all before.

I'm dreaming of all the space that'll be cleared and he's probably dreaming of what he can buy to fill it again.


Pol
  #43  
Old 04-04-07
Bearface Bearface is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post

Though too many things were written in the way they were written to be humorous and it was the second or the third time of this "nonsense" thing to be humorous coincidence...


.......Or alternatively, it was the second or third (or more..?) time you failed to understand the intent or context of what was said, and instead decided to reach your own conclusions.

I hate to be the one to confront you with this George, but you've regularly justified your inability to communicate certain points effectively - and with good reason - because English isn't your first language.......and yet here you are apparently fully able not only to see things that are not there, but also to interpret my intentions in forum threads, despite the fact that on this occasion (and in the past) you've completely and utterly missed the humour and intent behind certain comments or posts.

Now I'm big enough not to need an apology from you, but the least you can do is acknowledge when you've made a mistake. There's a first time for everything, you know...
  #44  
Old 04-04-07
Archangel Archangel is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Archangel is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
Oh dear. Oh dear me....

There's more than a hint of righteous indignation in your wording here, but I'm happy to ignore it for the simple reason that (as several people have pointed out already) you have totally misunderstood both what I said and in what context I was saying it. I just wish you'd have checked with me privately before making this sweeping judgement, as your embarrassment could have been avoided.

Something tells me you'll find a way to justify your error, but that's perfectly okay because I'd expect nothing else.
Still, I forgive you George, as I always do when these things happen

Tim

I still see that you trying to transfer "hints of righteous indignation of wording" to someone else. It would be much more honest to accept that you are sometimes approaching comments of other users with a sarcastic or provocative style.
Also, there is no private checking or discussion Tim, as you didn't do either with any of us before posting the "nonsense" comment.
And it is not only me that understood that way.

There is no necessity for me to justify any error as I didn't do any. There is nowhere in any of my postings in this thread anything against Canon, anything against any other user and everywhere in my posts is stated just my personal opinion and not any judgment of opinions of others.

It doesn't seem to me that Archangels need forgiveness. In the contrary, they give forgiveness.


George
  #45  
Old 04-04-07
Archangel Archangel is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Archangel is on a distinguished road
Re: For Mum (Canon or Nikon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post


.......Or alternatively, it was the second or third (or more..?) time you failed to understand the intent or context of what was said, and instead decided to reach your own conclusions.

I hate to be the one to confront you with this George, but you've regularly justified your inability to communicate certain points effectively - and with good reason - because English isn't your first language.......and yet here you are apparently fully able not only to see things that are not there, but also to interpret my intentions in forum threads, despite the fact that on this occasion (and in the past) you've completely and utterly missed the humour and intent behind certain comments or posts.

Now I'm big enough not to need an apology from you, but the least you can do is acknowledge when you've made a mistake. There's a first time for everything, you know...

Tim,

my English might not be perfect, but they managed to give me a Bachelor's Degree from an English University. I might not know what ROLFMAO is, but I do understand and communicate well enough in English. So leave this communication "new" thing aside and be generous to yourself at least once to admit that your wording style that might be fun to you, but might underestimate other peoples intentions and efforts.

And yes, it is always the first time for everything, but you don't seem to make progress towards that start.

George
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CANON vs NIKON Graham_of_Rainham Did you hear about... 5 17-10-12 05:26 PM
Nikon's D4 - is Canon worried? DPNow DPNow Member blog updates 0 06-01-12 11:52 AM
Canon FF versus Nikon FF Ian DSLR and other system camera discussion 29 17-10-08 06:55 PM
Dead Heat between Canon and Nikon yoshi DSLR and other system camera discussion 3 21-12-07 09:10 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Digital Photography Now, 2001-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger