Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Computer conundrums

Computer conundrums Digital photographers rely on the smooth running of their personal computers. Here's where to discuss problems and seek, as well as provide, advice.

Old 11-02-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road
Free Office Software: LibreOffice 4.0 is now available.

If you are familiar with OpenOffice, then you must know also about Libre project.
Their first major version up is available here:

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?nodetect

Just choose appropriate OS and the language. Be sure to download and install two designated files in order. Portable version is also available like OpenOffice. So you can "carry" it with you anywhere, if you download it on USB memory.

As I understand it, they are the people who left OpenOffice which was under Oracle that time. Oracle later sold the remaining part of OpenOffice and now they work as a group of Appach, so ApacchOpenOffice. The goal of the two group of people is same.

Using this Libre, I opened spread sheet files both of OpenOffice and MS Office (old one with file extension xls). I could open both types of spread sheet files.
The OpenOffice could also open the Libre files thus I made. Actually file extension code of both AppachOpenOffice and LibreOffice is the same, that is "ods" for spread sheet.

I have not yet tested for other features such as word etc. (it does not work for me atm. Need one more installation.) but most likely I guess no major problems between the two.

yoshi
Old 11-02-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 3 Posts
JSR is on a distinguished road
Re: Free Office Software: LibreOffice 4.0 is now available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
Portable version is also available like OpenOffice. So you can "carry" it with you anywhere, if you download it on USB memory.
Have you tried this version of it? Is it any faster than it used to be?

I tried out Portable OpenOffice once before and it was hideously slow at opening - we're talking a full 90 seconds before it was ready to do anything. It was so ridiculous that I gave up on it on the spot.

I switched to Softmaker Office (the free version is available from: http://www.freeoffice.com/en/ and the paid-version is from http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofw_en.htm), which not only took up less space on the USB stick but also opened significantly faster than the three-legged arthritic tortoise that was OpenOffice.

I now use Softmaker Office these days on everything from my antiquated H/PC (Jornada 720), my Android tablet, my smartphone, Windows laptop, Linux, and MID. Not all versions are free, of course, but there's something to be said for cross-platform familiarity.