Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions > Living with Lightroom

Living with Lightroom The DPNow forum place for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom discussion

Old 01-06-10
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Post processing with Lightroom

I'm still surprised somewhat when I hear people comment that their photo was 'straight out of the camera.............nothing done to it.............. no post processing'. Its as though they are proud that they didn't think anything needed doing to it, or that their camera has produced such perfection that it couldn't be improved.

As most people may know here, I'm a Raw shooter, and I use Lightroom to process my shots. I find that there is rarely a situation where Lightroom is not used to create something better than what came out of the camera. If you need any more convincing, then I urge you to check out Matt Klowskowski's latest blog where he is showing some of his latest shots taken during a workshop on the Oregon Coast. He shows the before and after of a series of photos and what he did in Lightroom to achieve the effect. Its pretty basic stuff for LR users and yet the effect is dramatic and well worth the effort.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 01-06-10
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Post processing with Lightroom

Before processing in Lightroom (in camera JPEG taken at the same time as the RAW file):

Processed from the RAW file in Lightroom 3:

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 01-06-10
Forum veteran

Bear is on a distinguished road

I have an acquaintance (someone my wife used to work with) he is very foond of loudly disparaging anyone who post processes, he even has a website devoted to it, yet he freely admits to shooting JPEG (the beginning of post processing surely ?) and discusses in camera settings and the use of filters. Can't help idiots really.
Old 01-06-10
Mr Iceman

Liked at 21 Times in 16 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road

I don't have Lightroom, but elements 8 and I actually look forward to doing a bit of tweeking here and there, although sometimes the pic does sometimes end up worse than when I started
Old 01-06-10
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm still surprised somewhat when I hear people comment that their photo was 'straight out of the camera.............nothing done to it.............. no post processing'. Its as though they are proud that they didn't think anything needed doing to it, or that their camera has produced such perfection that it couldn't be improved.

As most people may know here, I'm a Raw shooter, and I use Lightroom to process my shots. I find that there is rarely a situation where Lightroom is not used to create something better than what came out of the camera. If you need any more convincing, then I urge you to check out Matt Klowskowski's latest blog where he is showing some of his latest shots taken during a workshop on the Oregon Coast. He shows the before and after of a series of photos and what he did in Lightroom to achieve the effect. Its pretty basic stuff for LR users and yet the effect is dramatic and well worth the effort.
Hi Stephen

I have touched on this subject a number of times on the forum (usually ignored) I feel it just proves these people to be simply snappers which is fine, if thats all they want and they enjoy it. But to claim as many do that what they do or rather don't do, somehow makes these straight from camera images better or superior to post processed images does I'm afraid angers me. There is far more feeling and insight to an image that is interpreted IMO.
They often say they have taken what they see, a favourite phrase. I think they get misguided by the sales chat the manufacturers dish out. It presupposes the manufacturers produce cameras that are perfect, not so. It also assumes the manufacturers setting can interpret the scene the way the author sees it again, no. The camera simply records basic information for us to make into the real picture. JPG's also benefit with after work done in the computer.

To view extreme examples of post processing go to this site http://dianne.viewmy.info/ not I necessarily too everyones taste, certainly not realistic or what was in front of the camera but I think the work is absolutely gorgeous.

Patrick
Old 01-06-10
Forum veteran

Tom is on a distinguished road

I also shoot in RAW only (unless it is with my Digi Compact or Holga) but
I think what is key here is that whatever PP is carried out, it should improve the original image. How often have I seen colleagues, and myself also it should be added, spend so much time using tools simply because they are available.
A bit like some people going down to B&Q, coming back home and getting stuck into home improvements and then to discover that their house is worth less as a result of not knowing what they were doing in the first place.
Old 01-06-10
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I also shoot in RAW only (unless it is with my Digi Compact or Holga) but
I think what is key here is that whatever PP is carried out, it should improve the original image. How often have I seen colleagues, and myself also it should be added, spend so much time using tools simply because they are available.
A bit like some people going down to B&Q, coming back home and getting stuck into home improvements and then to discover that their house is worth less as a result of not knowing what they were doing in the first place.
Improving the image is always the aim, I hope I grew out of using tools for the sake of it years ago, the Cokin factor I call it. But we can all still be guilty thats for sure.

Patrick
Old 02-06-10

Geoff is on a distinguished road

Post processing can also be used to rescue an image such as in this one that I took at a christening at the weekend. This is a crop from a group photo, I took two quick shots (had to be quick as the middle lady couldn't stand for long and had to go back in her wheelchair). The first shot caught the lady on the left blinking, the second shot was no good as two of the group were looking at somebody else. I made an acceptable shot by copying the eyes of the blinking lady from the 2nd pic to the 1st pic.

I also shoot all the photos in raw with my Nikon D700. I didn't want to use flash so chose to use raw as I wasn't 100% confident with my exposure in the Church using the daylight through the windows so I was prepared to do some post processing. However, the D700 performed very well and I only had to do a little processing.
Attached Thumbnails
example_before.jpg   example_after.jpg  
Old 02-06-10
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Post processing can also be used to rescue an image such as in this one that I took at a christening at the weekend. This is a crop from a group photo, I took two quick shots (had to be quick as the middle lady couldn't stand for long and had to go back in her wheelchair). The first shot caught the lady on the left blinking, the second shot was no good as two of the group were looking at somebody else. I made an acceptable shot by copying the eyes of the blinking lady from the 2nd pic to the 1st pic.

I also shoot all the photos in raw with my Nikon D700. I didn't want to use flash so chose to use raw as I wasn't 100% confident with my exposure in the Church using the daylight through the windows so I was prepared to do some post processing. However, the D700 performed very well and I only had to do a little processing.
Haha, I've had to do that a few times I don't mind telling you. Its also why when taking group shots I always take several exposures. However Geoff its something that can't be done in Lightroom and my original post was to highlight how LR was being used to enhance images

Check out my BLOG too

Old 02-06-10
Forum veteran

Bear is on a distinguished road

For me photography has always been about the final result, the image. To a great extent I don't really see that how the image was produced is relevant. Sure it may be of interest to some, probably to many and the techniques used are important and good to learn but only in the context of the final image. If this image is produced using 50k's worth of Phase One kit or a 25 2nd hand P&S doen't really matter to me, I find it interesting but not particularly important.

From the point at which the photographer has a vision of an image he/she wants to create throught to the point of displaying it (even if it is only for yourself on your computer monitor) everything he/she does to achieve the final image uses tools of some kind. This has never been any different since the very earliest days of photography. The tools we use today are different but they are just tools in the same way earlier photographers used filters and darkrooms.

I cannot see the point of deliberately hobbling the creative process becasue you have some illogical objection to the tools used. Did anyone criticise Michelangelo because he used the wrong type of hammer and chisel ? The answer to that is probably because narrow-minded people have existed thoughout history.

Does anyone seriously think that the great masters of the past wouldn't use Lightroom/Photoshop/whatever, if they were around today because of some emotional attachment to a flawed notion of purity - yeah right !

Long live post-processing !
Old 02-06-10
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Kenton (Bear) makes a good point. The end result is what matters and if you can get what you are looking for without post-processing, than that's certainly valid and great if you can manage it. That's what slide film users strove to achieve after all. But to dismiss post processing is simply daft.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 03-06-10
Mr Iceman

Liked at 21 Times in 16 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road

I agree with all of that Ian.
I think sometimes when someone states an image is 'straight off the cam', they may not be implying that they don't process or they are against it, merely that they are proud they have taken an image that does not need lots of processing, and more thought has gone into the image before the shutter was pressed. Me included as ive said this when I have posted an image, this also maybe the case if someone wants critique on an image.
When capturing a scene if you just have an attitude of 'well if its not right I can fix it later' then to me thats wrong, and you are not going to learn anything about photography only improve your processing skills.

Sorry to digress from the original post but I just thought Ide defend some of the users, me included, that sometimes state this 'straight of the cam' thing.
The less work you have to do to an image after it has been captured has to better.
Im not anti processing, I just prefer proper photography.
Ash.
Ps Ian I wish I could say what I wanted to get across all in one line
Old 08-06-10
F1 nutter

Liked at 59 Times in 48 Posts
peter is on a distinguished road
Re: Post processing with Light room

Use light room,love light room,would not be with out it. Oh and anyone know when the new one is out. I thought the beta one should have come to an end by now.
Old 08-06-10
Seriously addicted

Re: Post processing with Light room

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Use light room,love light room,would not be with out it. Oh and anyone know when the new one is out. I thought the beta one should have come to an end by now.
I think you will find the big announcement today Peter ( Tues 8th June)

Check out my BLOG too