Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions > Living with Lightroom

Living with Lightroom The DPNow forum place for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom discussion

Old 13-01-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road
Question Need a profile

Since installing Windows 7 and Lightroom 3, under Color Managment Profile Popup (in Printer module) I can't see an ICC profile for Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper.

Can anyone help me to download one please or show me where to go?

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 1290 printer, Windows 7 Home Premium OS.

I used to have a lot of choices of paper but now only have Epson Colorlife paper (I don't use it) and 1290, 360 inkjet paper.

The paper choices are still there under printer setup.

Thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 13-01-11
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Need a profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Since installing Windows 7 and Lightroom 3, under Color Managment Profile Popup (in Printer module) I can't see an ICC profile for Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper.

Can anyone help me to download one please or show me where to go?

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 1290 printer, Windows 7 Home Premium OS.

I used to have a lot of choices of paper but now only have Epson Colorlife paper (I don't use it) and 1290, 360 inkjet paper.

The paper choices are still there under printer setup.

Thanks
Hi Audrey - switch to the Print module and scroll the right hand side all the way down and you will see Print Job and below that 'Color' Management. Your printer driver should have loaded a suitable profile for Epson Premium Glossy Photo paper. Epson does tend to use mnemonics for its papers and the usual mnemonic for Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper is PGPP. So when you click on the currently selected profile, a box should pop up that offers one or two options, as well as the option of 'others' - if PGPP is not a default, click on 'others' to see a list of all available profiles and look for 'PGPP'.

Hope this works!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 13-01-11
Forum veteran

Hi Ian,

I had already done that. It used to work in LR2 or perhaps it was Vista. Anyway, as I now have Windows 7 and LR3, it doesn't work.

It may be that there are no drivers for my old Epson Stylus Photo 1290 within Windows 7!

Anyway, here is what I see.
Attached Thumbnails
Profiles for DPNow.JPG   Paper for DPNow.JPG  

Old 13-01-11
Forum regular

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
norn iron is on a distinguished road

Audrey,
I am running windows 7 with Lightroom 3 and all the Epson profiles are showing under colour management.

Ken
Old 13-01-11
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by norn iron View Post
Audrey,
I am running windows 7 with Lightroom 3 and all the Epson profiles are showing under colour management.

Ken
Yes, but what printer are you using? Mine is the Epson Stylus Photo 1290 and I am wondering if it is because there is not a dedicated driver for it for use with Windows 7.

If you click on the thumb in my post above you will see all the Epson profiles, but Glossy paper is not there.

You are probably using a newer printer.

Old 14-01-11
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, but what printer are you using? Mine is the Epson Stylus Photo 1290 and I am wondering if it is because there is not a dedicated driver for it for use with Windows 7.

If you click on the thumb in my post above you will see all the Epson profiles, but Glossy paper is not there.

It looks then as though you can't do exactly what you want because Epson don't support Windows7. I went on their site and this seems to be the case. It's been pretty much the case with my Epson 2100, they have stopped supporting the Mac operating system and I cannot get the correct colours to print. Unless I pay for a custom profile, the only solution is to buy a newer printer

Check out my BLOG too

Old 14-01-11
Admin

I don't think profiles are specific to one version of Windows. I will try to get an answer from Epson - even if I have to pay them a visit (they are literally 5 minutes walk down the canal from here )

Ian
Old 14-01-11
Forum regular

norn iron is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My printer is an Epson R285

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  
Old 14-01-11
Admin

Here is an update, Audrey - see if you see anything like these in the profile list:
  • SP1290 RC - Premium Gloss Photo Paper
  • SP1290 MP-H - Heavy Weight Matt
  • SP1290 GF - Glossy Film
  • SP1290 PP - Photo Paper
  • SP1290 PQP - Photo Quality Paper
The mnemonic is different to the later printers for premium glossy photo paper (PGPP). You need to look for 'RC'.

If it's not there, you can download the profiles from the Epson UK website at:

http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-...rivers-Support

..look under ICC Profiles.

Ian
Old 14-01-11
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Here is an update, Audrey - see if you see anything like these in the profile list:
  • SP1290 RC - Premium Gloss Photo Paper
  • SP1290 MP-H - Heavy Weight Matt
  • SP1290 GF - Glossy Film
  • SP1290 PP - Photo Paper
  • SP1290 PQP - Photo Quality Paper
The mnemonic is different to the later printers for premium glossy photo paper (PGPP). You need to look for 'RC'.

If it's not there, you can download the profiles from the Epson UK website at:

http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-...rivers-Support

..look under ICC Profiles.

Ian
I may be wrong but it could be that the profiles require activation. If this is the case Audrey go to My Computer click your C: drive and follow this path Windows>system32>Spool>Drivers>Color here you will see a list of every profile on your machine. Find the Epson drivers you are missing and right click if I am correct about your problem you will get a list headed by install profile, click this and that should solve your problem.

Patrick
Old 14-01-11
Forum veteran

Thanks for all your replies. I had a chat with Epson today. This is what they say.
Audrey: "I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.Lightroom 3.3, but I cannot see a profile for the following:
* SP1290 RC - Premium Gloss Photo Paper
* SP1290 MP-H - Heavy Weight Matt
* SP1290 GF - Glossy Film
* SP1290 PP - Photo Paper
* SP1290 PQP - Ph"

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "Thank you for contacting Epsonís UK Customer Interaction Centre. My name is Rachael Worthington Hello Audrey"

Audrey: "Hello Rachael"

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "One moment please"

(Rachael Worthington): "Sorry for the delay Audrey, I was in the process of installing the printer software. As the 1290 printer driver is built into the Windows 7 - a generic driver some limitations within applications will be seen, such as the profiles"

Audrey: "I thought so, so what do I do? How can I get them?"

(Rachael Worthington): "It is not possible to create or use a profile with the generic driver in that application"

Audrey: "So do you have any suggestions as to how I can get around the problem? Are Epson going to provide dedicated drivers for the 1290 for use with Windows 7?"

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "We have no plans to create a driver for Windows 7 as Microsoft have supplied a driver. For more information about the Epson and Windows 7 please refer to the following article:-"
01/14/2011 02:48:06PM Agent (Rachael Worthington) sends page: "http://kb.epson-europe.com/article.aspx?article=3394&p=7"

Audrey: "I had already read this article, but it doesn't really solve my problem, but thanks anyway."

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "You're welcome, out of interest Audrey have you considered upgrading your printer at all lately? We do currently have a trade in offer to a new A3 printer"

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "If you have an out of warranty A3+ model, we can offer a discount against the purchase price of a new equivalent model and would take away your existing one to recycle. I can discount the Stylus Photo 1400 to £224.99 the R1900 to £352.99 or the R2880 to £510.99.

Audrey: "Thanks Rachael, but that is beyond my budget. I'll just have to manage."

(Rachael Worthington): "Ok"

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "Thank you for using EPSON e-Talk. If you require further assistance please reconnect to http://www.epson.co.uk/contact-us. Lines are open 9am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm Saturday, 10am to 5pm Sunday"

Audrey: "Thanks, Goodbye"

01/14/2011 02:54:18PM Session Ended

Patrick see the attached thumbnail with my available profiles. There are only 2 and these are the two which appear in Lightroom.

Thanks to all of you for your interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Available profiles.jpg  

Old 14-01-11
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for all your replies. I had a chat with Epson today. This is what they say.
Audrey: "I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.Lightroom 3.3, but I cannot see a profile for the following:
* SP1290 RC - Premium Gloss Photo Paper
* SP1290 MP-H - Heavy Weight Matt
* SP1290 GF - Glossy Film
* SP1290 PP - Photo Paper
* SP1290 PQP - Ph"

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "Thank you for contacting Epsonís UK Customer Interaction Centre. My name is Rachael Worthington Hello Audrey"

Audrey: "Hello Rachael"

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "One moment please"

(Rachael Worthington): "Sorry for the delay Audrey, I was in the process of installing the printer software. As the 1290 printer driver is built into the Windows 7 - a generic driver some limitations within applications will be seen, such as the profiles"

Audrey: "I thought so, so what do I do? How can I get them?"

(Rachael Worthington): "It is not possible to create or use a profile with the generic driver in that application"

Audrey: "So do you have any suggestions as to how I can get around the problem? Are Epson going to provide dedicated drivers for the 1290 for use with Windows 7?"

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "We have no plans to create a driver for Windows 7 as Microsoft have supplied a driver. For more information about the Epson and Windows 7 please refer to the following article:-"
01/14/2011 02:48:06PM Agent (Rachael Worthington) sends page: "http://kb.epson-europe.com/article.aspx?article=3394&p=7"

Audrey: "I had already read this article, but it doesn't really solve my problem, but thanks anyway."

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "You're welcome, out of interest Audrey have you considered upgrading your printer at all lately? We do currently have a trade in offer to a new A3 printer"

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "If you have an out of warranty A3+ model, we can offer a discount against the purchase price of a new equivalent model and would take away your existing one to recycle. I can discount the Stylus Photo 1400 to £224.99 the R1900 to £352.99 or the R2880 to £510.99.

Audrey: "Thanks Rachael, but that is beyond my budget. I'll just have to manage."

(Rachael Worthington): "Ok"

Agent (Rachael Worthington): "Thank you for using EPSON e-Talk. If you require further assistance please reconnect to http://www.epson.co.uk/contact-us. Lines are open 9am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm Saturday, 10am to 5pm Sunday"

Audrey: "Thanks, Goodbye"

01/14/2011 02:54:18PM Session Ended

Patrick see the attached thumbnail with my available profiles. There are only 2 and these are the two which appear in Lightroom.

Thanks to all of you for your interest.
Hi Audrey

I didn't realize you were using the generic drivers that came with Windows, in all honesty they are useless.
My old R2400 didn't have any Epson drivers for Widows 7 either, I just down loaded the very latest drivers Epson had and they worked fine. If memory serves they were Vista drivers.
I have been onto the Epson site and no drivers are for Vista or Windows 7 but there are drivers for XP 64bit, I suggest you download them and give them a try, you have nothing to loose, they should work, if they don't uninstall them.

Don't take up Epson's offer on a trade in, you can get a better deal buying online from other suppliers, and possibly sell your 1290 to someone, or put it on eBay.
They offered me a trade for my broken down R2400 (I am selling it to a friend for spares) and pay £510.00, I could buy one from Amazon for £460.

In the end I bought a new R2880 with ink-flow system for £790, less £20 discount and £40 worth of paper of my choice.

Patrick
Old 14-01-11
Forum veteran

Thanks for that Patrick.

This all started because I profiled my computer with the Club's Spyder3 last night and then did a print which did not match my screen.

Another profile later and 2 more prints of a colour chart that I downloaded, and still I was no nearer when printing through CS3 and letting PS manage colour.

I imported the chart into Lightroom and because I couldn't find the profile, I used the printer dialogue box where all the Epson papers are available. I used "Photo quality Glossy Film" (recommended by the people who profile monitors etc." and I checked "Managed by Printer" and "Enabled Colour Management in the Printer Driver Dialogue box."

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT I have never had such an exact match from my print to the screen.

Even when I had it professionally profiled, the lime greens were really dark.

I am so pleased. In fact, I think that some time ago Patrick said that he had a reasonable print by letting Lightroom do it through the printer.

Anyway, thanks a lot. I am off to see Cinderella now - a local production.