Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions > Living with Lightroom

Living with Lightroom The DPNow forum place for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom discussion

Old 09-05-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road
Moving CS3 edited images back into LR 1.41

I have my photographs in LR and I wanted to finish editing one of them in CS3, after which I saved it to PS and JPG files. I can see all my photographs in Adobe Bridge.

I now want it back in Light Room as well as Adobe Bridge, but when I tried to import it into Lightroom, it said that there were no images to import.

Can anyone tell me how I can synchronize settings of images saved in Photoshop with Lightroom, or even just copy an image back into Lightroom?

I had renamed the image, so it wasn't refusing on the grounds of the image already being there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 09-05-08
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Moving CS3 edited images back into LR 1.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I have my photographs in LR and I wanted to finish editing one of them in CS3, after which I saved it to PS and JPG files. I can see all my photographs in Adobe Bridge.

I now want it back in Light Room as well as Adobe Bridge, but when I tried to import it into Lightroom, it said that there were no images to import.

Can anyone tell me how I can synchronize settings of images saved in Photoshop with Lightroom, or even just copy an image back into Lightroom?

I had renamed the image, so it wasn't refusing on the grounds of the image already being there.
Are the Photoshop adjusted files and the original files imported into LR in the same location. If it is trying to find the file in the folder it came from and you have it sat on your desktop, then this maybe the issue. I'm not certain, but does LR recognise PSD files?

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-05-08
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

I'm not sure I fully visualise what you are trying to do. I have tried to replicate what you did this way:

Imported a RAW file into LR, then made edits and then went to 'Photo' to open in Photoshop CS3. I made some more edits and converted the colour space from ProPhoto to Adobe RGB and the bit resolution from 16 to 8 bits and saved a new JPEG. I then imported the resulting JPEG back into LR.

I didn't encounter any problems...

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 09-05-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I'm not sure I fully visualise what you are trying to do. I have tried to replicate what you did this way:

Imported a RAW file into LR, then made edits and then went to 'Photo' to open in Photoshop CS3. I made some more edits and converted the colour space from ProPhoto to Adobe RGB and the bit resolution from 16 to 8 bits and saved a new JPEG. I then imported the resulting JPEG back into LR.

I didn't encounter any problems...

Ian
I too have tried this. If you go to the Photo menu instead of export, then Edit in Photoshop CS3, the photo is put into PS for editing, when resaved it is put back in the same folder and should appear with the others in LR. It can also be stacked with the original. Seems to work OK.

If I'm honest this is something I never do. I very rarely import stuff back into LR as I don't see this as part of its function. For me its primarily a raw converter and I don't usually see the need to export to PS do any editing then put it back in LR, it just doesn't seem necessary. Why would I want a PS edited file in LR? Unless I wanted to create a webgallery perhaps, or a slideshow, but then I have a better slideshow prog than LR. For me the slideshow function is simply to browse images with a client or quickly show others a few photos.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-05-08
Seriously addicted

Just tried importing a PSD file back into the same folder from the Desktop with LR and it worked OK. Clicking on the folder in the library module will refresh it though and it should be highlighted.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-05-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your time Stephen and Ian. I have now managed to move it - I like to see them altogether.

I had several shots and each time was told "There are no photos to move."

From Lightroom Import, I navigated to my file through explorer. Each time I found the file, there was the option to "Open" or "Choose Selected". I usually click "Choose Selected" because there are usually more than one, but every time I clicked on "Choose Selected" I got the message that there were no photos to move.

I decided to click on "Open" and then I got the familiar LR dialogue box with all the options.

I navigated to where I wanted it to go, clicked OK and it went.

Things don't look quite the same colour in PS as in LR, and I find it easier to manipulate the colour balance in LR than PS. Also, once I have moved out of the RAW settings in PS, where there is clarity and vibrance (I think), I can't find either under File Adjust, but in LR I can keep on altering it and seeing what is happening.

It is easier for me anyway.

Although I have downloaded LR 2 Beta, I have not had time to do anything with it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 09-05-08
Seriously addicted

Glad you got it sorted. I'm the same as you with LR2 Beta, don't seem to have the time or inclination to do much with it yet. I'm also trying DxO Optics and Silky Pix but suspect my trial versions will have run out before I get time to evaluate them. Half the time though I question the value of trying other progs and changing my workflow DxO does have certain advantages though.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-05-08
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I too have tried this. If you go to the Photo menu instead of export, then Edit in Photoshop CS3, the photo is put into PS for editing, when resaved it is put back in the same folder and should appear with the others in LR. It can also be stacked with the original. Seems to work OK.

If I'm honest this is something I never do. I very rarely import stuff back into LR as I don't see this as part of its function. For me its primarily a raw converter and I don't usually see the need to export to PS do any editing then put it back in LR, it just doesn't seem necessary. Why would I want a PS edited file in LR? Unless I wanted to create a webgallery perhaps, or a slideshow, but then I have a better slideshow prog than LR. For me the slideshow function is simply to browse images with a client or quickly show others a few photos.
Interesting - do you not use Lightroom as your DAM solution? If you make a change and save a new file, if you want to keep track of it with all your other images, surely you need to import it?

Ian
Old 09-05-08
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Glad you got it sorted. I'm the same as you with LR2 Beta, don't seem to have the time or inclination to do much with it yet. I'm also trying DxO Optics and Silky Pix but suspect my trial versions will have run out before I get time to evaluate them. Half the time though I question the value of trying other progs and changing my workflow DxO does have certain advantages though.
Hi Stephen, I forgot to send you the licence key for Silky Pix - will do that now!

DxO is providing us with an additional Mac key when the product exits Beta.

Ian
Old 09-05-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Interesting - do you not use Lightroom as your DAM solution? If you make a change and save a new file, if you want to keep track of it with all your other images, surely you need to import it?

Ian
Yes I do but only in a half hearted sort of way. All imported images from individual shoots are given key words, though rarely individual files. Most adjustments are made in LR these days, and of course a jpeg is easily recreated as a result. Usually edited files I want to keep are dumped into an edit folder with an appropriate name on. I suppose this is where I'm let down by not using the DAM potential of LR

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-05-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Hi Stephen, I forgot to send you the licence key for Silky Pix - will do that now!

DxO is providing us with an additional Mac key when the product exits Beta.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I'll look forward to that

Check out my BLOG too