Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 26-04-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Home Studio

As some of the long term members may remember I am quite keen on studio portrait work. Newer member possibly wont know me as I havenít been very active on DP-Now lately.

Anyway now I have retired and don't have to store work related stock any more, I decided to create a small studio in the space freed up, only large enough for head & shoulders work.

For budget & space reasons I made the decision to use speedlights using Yongnuo flash guns, one YN468-II and two YN460-II another YN460-II at a later date, remarkable value for money, perhaps not as well finish as the Canon equivalents and possibly in the long term not as good, but good enough for now.

I would like feedback from others that have followed this route & possible pitfalls.

To go with the flash guns I have also purchased 4 Stands, two 24Ē soft-boxes, One 20Ē soft-box and a snoot, barn doors at a later date.

No pictures to post yet but will when I have some.

Patrick
Old 26-04-12
Super Moderator

Liked at 54 Times in 45 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road
Re: Home Studio

I do wish I had the space for something of a similar nature but our bungalow doesn't allow for it.
I do like to see what others have done with lighting and look forward to seeing some of your results
Old 05-05-12
Forum veteran

Liked at 19 Times in 17 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road

I have built up my "strobist" kit over several years and while I use the Olympus FL-50Rs in Bowens Softboxes and Brollies, I also use lots of DiY light modifiers and reflectors.

I also have lots of old flash guns (£5 off eBay) and slave triggers that I can use in all sorts of ways (including housed in sealed food containers in underwater/wet shots)

I simply will not pay out good money for a bit of plastic that I can do the same thing with a bit of black card and masking tape.

My shoot through white brollies have DiY silver reflector attachments made from the "Life" blankets that are used in emergency and sports events. They also make great wall/floor reflectors. The 5-in-1 round reflector with a translucent inside screen are excellent value and do a lot of things (including a kneeling mat)

There is a guy selling something called "black foamie thing" for many times what I paid for my one in the 99p shop

I have cut up plastic milk bottles and stuck cooking foil in them to work as background illumination reflectors. Coloured metalised Christmas wrap works great for introducing all sorts of "effects".

A valued bit of "studio" kit is a hairdressers block, which I use to work out different lighting arrangements.

Look forward to seeing some of your pictures.

Old 05-05-12

Liked at 17 Times in 15 Posts
mike_j is on a distinguished road

For continuous lighting these are cheap and effective. Twin light costs little more.
Old 07-05-12
Forum veteran

Liked at 19 Times in 17 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
For continuous lighting these are cheap and effective. Twin light costs little more.
The colour temperature (typ 3000K) and spectrum content of those is not really suitable for studios.

Unless you want them as heaters as well
Old 07-05-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Home Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
The colour temperature (typ 3000K) and spectrum content of those is not really suitable for studios.

Unless you want them as heaters as well
Yes we have had lecturers visiting the Photo club using these to light their prints. We have a system whereby we use a camera and projector to display the print on a large screen for the benifite of those at the back of the room, we had problems getting colours correct. In fact we have never managed to get the colours correct.
As you say Graham parts of the colour spectrum is missing from these lights, they are after all designed for building sites where such things are not important.

Patrick