Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  
 
advertisements
   

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23-04-12
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walsall, Pelsall, West Midlands UK
Posts: 1,789
Blog Entries: 7
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Lightroom 4 & Aperture 3

I have been using on and off more on these last months Lightroom and upgraded to LT4 recently from LT3. As a Mac user I installed Aperture 3 last week and am in the process of comparing the two.
First impressions are both not dissimilar. Plus & Minus for both systems.
Aperure has first advantage on price down loaded from the App store a shade under £55, Lightroom over £100, if you are upgrading from LT3 about the same price as Aperture.
Library is much the same in both although still exploring Aperture.
Adjustment are very similar although there are more options in Aperture.

LT4 has it on lens correction, Aperture is very primitive by today's standards and less effective.
The cloning tools in Aperture is superior to LT4 as it is a true cloning too; as opposed to a spot remove tool. LT4 generally at this stage appears to be more user friendly, but that feeling may change as I get used to Aperture over the next weeks.
I will report again when I have used Aperture more.

Patrick
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-04-12
theMusicMan theMusicMan is offline
Forum newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
theMusicMan is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 4 & Aperture 3

Patrick - you mention Aperture is superior to LR4 as LR doesn't have a true cloning tool: correction: LR does have it's own true cloning and spot removal tools - see screenshot.

Once in the spot removal selection panel, You can choose between Clone and Heal brushes.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-04-12
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 9,829
Blog Entries: 270
Thanks: 48
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Likes: 77
Liked at 35 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 4 & Aperture 3

I would interested to know how the quality of RAW conversions compares. If not the best, LR4 is one of the best. Its noise management and sharpening abilities are really excellent these days. The ability to apply sharpening, noise reduction, white balance, etc. via the adjustments brush and graduated filter is also something I highly value. I am also very impressed with LR4's chromatic aberration reduction - at first I was not sure as gone were the adjustment sliders of the colours to correct, but now it just works without any user-input. LR4 is now a very mature product and camera updates usually come quickly, something Aperture has been criticised for. I don't use camera and lens profiles, but these would be icing on the cake for some users.

There are improvements I would like to see; LR4's clone tool is limited to a circular brush area; the latest version of Cyberlink PhotoDirector lets you determine the shape of the clone area. I would also like to control more precisely the shape of selected areas that I want to apply adjustments to. A brush isn't precise enough; I want to draw the area and then fine tune size and feathering, etc. PhotoDirector's watermark editor and options are also much better than Lightroom's. Support for networked drives would also be nice.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-04-12
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walsall, Pelsall, West Midlands UK
Posts: 1,789
Blog Entries: 7
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 4 & Aperture 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Patrick - you mention Aperture is superior to LR4 as LR doesn't have a true cloning tool: correction: LR does have it's own true cloning and spot removal tools - see screenshot.

Once in the spot removal selection panel, You can choose between Clone and Heal brushes.

I have not explained correctly or you have not read my post correctly. I am fully aware of LR's clone tool and healing brush, what I said was Apertures cloning and healing (they call it repair) tool is superior to LT's as it works the same as Photoshops tool. LR cloning tool is not designed for serious cloning work, but more for simple spot removal, in fact that is what Adobe name the tool.
Nor do I say Aperture is in general superior to LT I have not at this stage been using it enough to make a judgement yet. There are definite plus & minus with both programs, I pointed out LR has very much better lens correction tool.

Patrick
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24-04-12
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walsall, Pelsall, West Midlands UK
Posts: 1,789
Blog Entries: 7
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 4 & Aperture 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I would interested to know how the quality of RAW conversions compares. If not the best, LR4 is one of the best. Its noise management and sharpening abilities are really excellent these days. The ability to apply sharpening, noise reduction, white balance, etc. via the adjustments brush and graduated filter is also something I highly value. I am also very impressed with LR4's chromatic aberration reduction - at first I was not sure as gone were the adjustment sliders of the colours to correct, but now it just works without any user-input. LR4 is now a very mature product and camera updates usually come quickly, something Aperture has been criticised for. I don't use camera and lens profiles, but these would be icing on the cake for some users.

There are improvements I would like to see; LR4's clone tool is limited to a circular brush area; the latest version of Cyberlink PhotoDirector lets you determine the shape of the clone area. I would also like to control more precisely the shape of selected areas that I want to apply adjustments to. A brush isn't precise enough; I want to draw the area and then fine tune size and feathering, etc. PhotoDirector's watermark editor and options are also much better than Lightroom's. Support for networked drives would also be nice.

Ian
I haven't used Aperture enough yet to evaluate its ability to convert RAW files, I know LR to be first class, sharpening and noise reduction I the think again LR shades it. Adjustment tools, well Aperture has more, whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen.
Results are certainly slightly different, but again that could be me getting used to the program, after all I have been using LR from the very first version so I know my way about it better.
Aperture 3 is now relatively old it was launched at much the same time as LT3 so what improvements will be made in version 4 will be interesting, in some ways LR4 was catching up with Aperture 3 the GPS & Book making facility's for example, but went ahead in other areas Lens correction and chromatic aberration reduction.
The leap frog game.

Will report again.


Patrick
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24-04-12
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 9,829
Blog Entries: 270
Thanks: 48
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Likes: 77
Liked at 35 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 4 & Aperture 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I have not explained correctly or you have not read my post correctly. I am fully aware of LR's clone tool and healing brush, what I said was Apertures cloning and healing (they call it repair) tool is superior to LT's as it works the same as Photoshops tool. LR cloning tool is not designed for serious cloning work, but more for simple spot removal, in fact that is what Adobe name the tool.
Nor do I say Aperture is in general superior to LT I have not at this stage been using it enough to make a judgement yet. There are definite plus & minus with both programs, I pointed out LR has very much better lens correction tool.

Patrick
I know some prefer the PS healing tool, but I actually prefer the LR one - it works automatically like the healing tool, but you can very easily adjust the source area like a cloning tool. It's the best of both worlds if you ask me. The one advantage PS (the latest versions) have is content aware technology. I hope Adobe will eventually endow LR with that.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24-04-12
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walsall, Pelsall, West Midlands UK
Posts: 1,789
Blog Entries: 7
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 4 & Aperture 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I know some prefer the PS healing tool, but I actually prefer the LR one - it works automatically like the healing tool, but you can very easily adjust the source area like a cloning tool. It's the best of both worlds if you ask me. The one advantage PS (the latest versions) have is content aware technology. I hope Adobe will eventually endow LR with that.

Ian
Hi Ian

Yes the spot tool works really well at spotting, however I was adjusting an image taken in a studio where the back drop was not wide enough and stand legs and things were showing. In Aperture I was able to make good with cloning the whole height of the frame on both sides. Faced with this same situation in LR the spot tool could not do the job, I should have had to go into CS4.

When I was playing with LR4 beta it was quick and responsive, however the retail version feels less responsive, very strange. Aperture has proved to be the slightly quicker of the two program's although they both appear to use a lot of computer recources.

Patrick
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-12
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walsall, Pelsall, West Midlands UK
Posts: 1,789
Blog Entries: 7
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 4 & Aperture 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I would interested to know how the quality of RAW conversions compares. If not the best, LR4 is one of the best. Its noise management and sharpening abilities are really excellent these days. The ability to apply sharpening, noise reduction, white balance, etc. via the adjustments brush and graduated filter is also something I highly value. I am also very impressed with LR4's chromatic aberration reduction - at first I was not sure as gone were the adjustment sliders of the colours to correct, but now it just works without any user-input. LR4 is now a very mature product and camera updates usually come quickly, something Aperture has been criticised for. I don't use camera and lens profiles, but these would be icing on the cake for some users.

There are improvements I would like to see; LR4's clone tool is limited to a circular brush area; the latest version of Cyberlink PhotoDirector lets you determine the shape of the clone area. I would also like to control more precisely the shape of selected areas that I want to apply adjustments to. A brush isn't precise enough; I want to draw the area and then fine tune size and feathering, etc. PhotoDirector's watermark editor and options are also much better than Lightroom's. Support for networked drives would also be nice.

Ian
Hi Taken me week, ( since retiring I seem to have less time than ever, very strange) but here are two versions of the same image, one processed in LT4 the other in Aperture 3 not asking you to guess which is which just evaluate and perhaps comment on any differences.
I see a difference but can't say one to be better than the other, simply slightly different, I think if I have a preference its for the LT one on this particular type of image, I think I should like the Aperture if I were working on a portrait. That's the next test to be posted.

Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Aperture 3.jpg   LT4.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-12
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walsall, Pelsall, West Midlands UK
Posts: 1,789
Blog Entries: 7
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 4 & Aperture 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hi Taken me week, ( since retiring I seem to have less time than ever, very strange) but here are two versions of the same image, one processed in LT4 the other in Aperture 3 not asking you to guess which is which just evaluate and perhaps comment on any differences.
I see a difference but can't say one to be better than the other, simply slightly different, I think if I have a preference its for the LT one on this particular type of image, I think I should like the Aperture if I were working on a portrait. That's the next test to be posted.

Patrick
So here is a portrait developed in the two programs.

Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Aperture 3 II.jpg   LT4 II.jpg  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nik Software Announces Silver Efex Pro™ 2 for Adobe® Photoshop®, Lightroom® & Apple® Aperture DPNow Latest DPNow articles 0 18-01-11 02:34 PM
Aperture and Lightroom style workflow - for or against? Ian Software solutions 18 23-04-10 12:17 PM
Apple Aperture 3 assessed DPNow Headline news 0 04-03-10 08:40 PM
Apple announces Aperture 3.01 DPNow Headline news 3 26-02-10 04:24 PM
Apple Releases Aperture 3 DPNow Latest DPNow articles 0 10-02-10 12:23 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:51 AM.


© Digital Photography Now, 2001-2012, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger