Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Computer conundrums

Computer conundrums Digital photographers rely on the smooth running of their personal computers. Here's where to discuss problems and seek, as well as provide, advice.

Old 23-04-12
escallonia

Liked at 29 Times in 22 Posts
escallonia is on a distinguished road
Re: Whats the apple Imac 2012 like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
If you are happy to pay the extra and value the Mac experience accordingly, then go for it. I simply can't justify it. For £749 the Acer Z5763 has a better technical spec. than a £1250 iMac. For the difference in price I can add a really good spec. laptop and still have change. If you don't like the style of the Acer you can consider options from big names like HP, Sony, Samsung, Asus, and more, plus smaller brands like Mesh. I don't think it's a crime in buying a Mac, and after sales support is apparently very good, but I think you're really buying into an image and club and paying a large premium in the process. I don't see any technical advantages in Macs for most users, and there is undoubtedly more software for Windows. I'm not tagging you, Patrick but there are some aggressive Apple fanboys out there that virtually mock anyone for having a PC instead of a Mac - and that is just wrong.

Ian
Ian thankyou for all your advice I will let you know on the computer that I decide to get and part with my hard earned pension regards John.
Old 23-04-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by escallonia View Post
Ian thankyou for all your advice I will let you know on the computer that I decide to get and part with my hard earned pension regards John.
I know the feeling I am a pensioner myself now.

In the mean time go to an Apple Store and talk to one of the assistants, they will NOT try and sell you anything, but will tell you everything you want to know and answer any questions and queries you may have.

They will not however talk about any possible new products, like as not they have not been briefed yet, Apple play that sort of thing very close to the chest.

They do though I believe, not tested it myself, replace with the lasted equivalent machine if you buy and a new one comes out within 3 months, interesting
Its also said their after sales service is second to none, again not had the knead to test it.

Patrick
Old 23-04-12
Admin

Liked at 61 Times in 51 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

John - my apologies - those Amazon links I inserted didn't work. I have amended them now.

Unless you use some sort of PC-in-a-Mac solution, which is not really a great idea if you have chosen to go the Mac route, you will need to either re-licence or buy new examples of the software you currently have, assuming it is available on the Mac.

Many Mac users don't bother with security software because they think MacOS is not vulnerable. Just a few weeks ago tens of thousands of Mac users realised this isn't true. But your PC security software is not compatible with MacOS. Email is platform agnostic, so you will simply have to enter your email account details into whatever software on the Mac you choose to use.

Patrick - Once again, Apple doesn't have the monopoly on top quality screens. IPS panel LCD monitors are really affordable now - less than £140 for this LG23 inch example. Some of the all-in-one PCs have excellent screens and the Acer previously mentioned was singled out for praise regarding its screen in the PC Pro review I read earlier today.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 23-04-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
John - my apologies - those Amazon links I inserted didn't work. I have amended them now.

Unless you use some sort of PC-in-a-Mac solution, which is not really a great idea if you have chosen to go the Mac route, you will need to either re-licence or buy new examples of the software you currently have, assuming it is available on the Mac.

Many Mac users don't bother with security software because they think MacOS is not vulnerable. Just a few weeks ago tens of thousands of Mac users realised this isn't true. But your PC security software is not compatible with MacOS. Email is platform agnostic, so you will simply have to enter your email account details into whatever software on the Mac you choose to use.

Patrick - Once again, Apple doesn't have the monopoly on top quality screens. IPS panel LCD monitors are really affordable now - less than £140 for this LG23 inch example. Some of the all-in-one PCs have excellent screens and the Acer previously mentioned was singled out for praise regarding its screen in the PC Pro review I read earlier today.

Ian
Mac screen should be compared in my view with the likes of Eizo expensive in there own right. Laci and NEC do Monitors that may be compared with the high resolution of a Mac but they are pricey too.
Lightroom which was mentioned is multi platform therefore no problem.
When I bought my iMac I changed my Licences over to Mac in all cases it was a case of an email, download the mac version and a new reg number or even use the same reg number all at no cost. CS4 Adobe sent a new Disk for Mac they said for £5 to cover post, in the even I think it was £2.50.
Out of all my programs only Goodsync insisted on me buying a Mac licence which I thought mean. the only programs that did not have Mac versions were PicturetoEX promised 3 years ago but still not available, I found Photo to Movie which I find to be a little more advanced. Goldwave, but Audasity have a Mac version thier software that works much the same anyway. Lastly my accounts package which is why I ran a Windows partition now I am no longer trading as self employed that can go now. I could have bought a Mac accounts package but it was more economical to use a Widows Partition.
Programs that had Mac version and changed the licence included Photoshop, PTGui (photo stitching) Photomatix (HDR) All Nik software, all On One software, in other words any software that really counts are available for Mac. Even Microsoft Office for a Mac which I run, not fond of Pages or Numbers, Macs own equivalent. See I'm not blind to none Apple products.
What is apparent is that few Mac programs are offered in shops PC World have some but then they sell Macs these days. Most Mac software is available via Download and its abundant.

In the same way as Mac users can Mock Windows users, likewise its common for Mac detractors too use a shortage of software as there method a put Mac's down, it simply isn't true any more, was at one time. Where it is possibly true in the free-ware market, but Macs have there free-ware writers out there covering the same ground.

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice.

Patrick
Old 23-04-12
Admin

Apple does not make LCD panels - it buys them from manufacturers just like any other monitor or PC manufacturer. All I am saying is that there is nothing exclusive about the quality of Apple monitors and if you have a PC you can buy monitors with just the same image quality for surprisingly little money.

I'm the last person to deny that Apple has been extremely successful. They have some 90 plus billion dollars in the bank (though I do wonder why this is the case - is this at the expense of their customers? - that's another debate, though). And if you are content, or enthusiastic to buy into a system with limited choice and high cost, where you will have to accept what one company dictates in terms of development and policy, then that's fine. In the end it is a personal choice and luckily we live in a society where you do have freedom of choice.

My only concern is that John and others know the full facts before making that choice. I do feel that John has learned a lot through this forum thread and that he will make a really informed choice in the end.

Ian
Old 23-04-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Apple does not make LCD panels - it buys them from manufacturers just like any other monitor or PC manufacturer. All I am saying is that there is nothing exclusive about the quality of Apple monitors and if you have a PC you can buy monitors with just the same image quality for surprisingly little money.

I'm the last person to deny that Apple has been extremely successful. They have some 90 plus billion dollars in the bank (though I do wonder why this is the case - is this at the expense of their customers? - that's another debate, though). And if you are content, or enthusiastic to buy into a system with limited choice and high cost, where you will have to accept what one company dictates in terms of development and policy, then that's fine. In the end it is a personal choice and luckily we live in a society where you do have freedom of choice.

My only concern is that John and others know the full facts before making that choice. I do feel that John has learned a lot through this forum thread and that he will make a really informed choice in the end.

Ian
Hi Ian

I know what you are saying, Samsung is chief among its panel suppliers (to Apple specification of course) a company that has an uneasy relationship with Apple as they are at each others throats over patents (mind you who isn't at odds with Apple over patents).
It was the display that first drew me to Mac, a local professional studio was using a 24 inch iMac, running Phase one software, it stood out from the PC's they were using with high quality NEC monitors. I was sceptical as you you are, the machines appeared over priced and under specified, but I still made the change and have not regretted the choice.

It's not just the display but the way they work trouble free, I accept there is the odd exceptions. Windows is a compromise having to accommodate all the different manufacturers and components manufactures and peripherals, which is why its so bloated. Apple only have to worry about components of their choosing and specification, plus peripherals, resulting in a tighter OS system less prone to problems.

Anyway we can agree to differ, and also agree we are all free to make our own choices.

Patrick
Old 24-04-12
Admin

Another thing to bear in mind is Windows 7 - Patrick did you use Win 7? Vista was OK, but Windows 7 was really what Vista should have been - extremely stable and very slick. Maybe not as flashy as MacOS, but highly accomplished.

Very expensive displays tuned for photography applications like the NECs and Eizos don't look vibrant and have comparatively low contrast ratios. That's because they match printed output far more closely than consumer screens, which is what professional workflow is all about. Even when calibrating a consumer screen you will see a loss of the out of the box saturation and vibrance and this can be initially disappointing. Serious pros often choose NEC and Eizo pro monitors in place of their Mac screens.

But you are right, Apple decided to standardise on high quality IPS panels for their screens early on. That was an expensive premium at the time. The fact is that these panels are now very affordable but Apple still prices high. There are plenty of PC options with IPS panel displays every bit as good as Apple ones, and for less money.

Ian
Old 24-04-12
escallonia

Liked at 29 Times in 22 Posts
escallonia is on a distinguished road

I have decided to go for this computer Ian.
£779

23.6” Multi touch Panel (1920x1080)
Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
8GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB Hard Drive
1GB nVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics
DVD RW, Webcam, Wireless LAN
Wireless keyboard & mouse, 2 x Spkrs
TV Tuner
2 years Collect & Return warranty
FREE Delivery
Old 24-04-12
Admin

And the most important thing is that you made your own choice based on adequate knowledge I would have said exactly the same if you had chosen an iMac.

With the touch screen you are also ready to go for when Windows 8 arrives

I also think you will be pleased with the improvements Windows 7 offers over Vista.

Ian