Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > Headline news

Headline news Comment on DPNow news stories or even alert us to breaking news we haven't yet spotted.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-10-08
Information

Liked at 8 Times in 7 Posts
DPNow is on a distinguished road
Arrow Velbon Sherpa 750R tripod review

Here is a summary or excerpt from an article that has just been published on DPNow:

If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive and compact four section tripod bundled with a three-way pan and tilt quick release head, the Velbon Sherpa 750R we have reviewed is worth considering.

More...
Old 14-10-08
Admin

Liked at 69 Times in 53 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Velbon Sherpa 750R tripod review

This is the first of a series of reviews of affordable tripods that are in the pipeline for the next few weeks. Next up is a SLIK model, with a dual pan and tilt head, followed by a Benro model that we rate as extremely good value. Other models from Cullman, Manfrotto. Giottos, Benbo, and more are coming

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 14-10-08
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
This is the first of a series of reviews of affordable tripods that are in the pipeline for the next few weeks. Next up is a SLIK model, with a dual pan and tilt head, followed by a Benro model that we rate as extremely good value. Other models from Cullman, Manfrotto. Giottos, Benbo, and more are coming

Ian
Nice one Ian, I look forward to your reports on the others. As regards this one, I agree about the geared centre column, there is no need for it. Centre columns should be used sparingly IMHO anyway, but a simple clamp type would do in this case. I also am not a big fan of the video style pan arm and can see no real advantage is using this style of mechanism except maybe it serves a dual purpose. I just find the long arm a bit of a nuisance.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 14-10-08
Forum veteran

jojo is on a distinguished road

I've got one of these and that centre column is well-wobbly (as discussed previously with Pol!) I think I know where you are coming from with the "pan arm" Stephen - yes it does cramp yer style somewhat (but this is my first tripod and I was relying on the LCE assistant for advice when I bought it).

"The legs can be locked to a near-horizontal position for very low shooting and the centre column can be split in half to maximise the low position afforded by the legs".

If anyone can tell me how to achieve this I would be a happy bunny indeed!

Yes, I've twiddled with all the bits 'n pieces and no, it didn't come with any destructions!

jo
Old 14-10-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I've got one of these and that centre column is well-wobbly (as discussed previously with Pol!) I think I know where you are coming from with the "pan arm" Stephen - yes it does cramp yer style somewhat (but this is my first tripod and I was relying on the LCE assistant for advice when I bought it).

"The legs can be locked to a near-horizontal position for very low shooting and the centre column can be split in half to maximise the low position afforded by the legs".

Yes, I've twiddled with all the bits 'n pieces and no, it didn't come with any destructions!

jo
Presumably the column separates in some way from the head or otherwise it won't go down as far as the legs allow. Perhaps Ian can offer some help with this

Check out my BLOG too

Old 14-10-08
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Presumably the column separates in some way from the head or otherwise it won't go down as far as the legs allow. Perhaps Ian can offer some help with this
Splendid suggestion Sir

Ian.............?
Old 14-10-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Splendid suggestion Sir

Ian.............?
Ah, he has already mentioned the way.......http://dpnow.com/PHPcode/bigpic.php?...ile=&subpage=a

Check out my BLOG too

Old 14-10-08
Forum veteran

Quote:
Ah, he has already mentioned the way.......http://dpnow.com/PHPcode/bigpic.php?...ile=&subpage=a
Uh oh, guess I gave Ian's post "a little boys look"

jo
Old 15-10-08
Ancient Geek

Liked at 55 Times in 46 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:

jo

Jo, look down at the base of the centre column and you'll see a black knob. It's a sort of wheel thing that turns - it has notches to give it grip. It looks a bit like it's just there to 'cap' the base of the centre column but it's not a 'cap' it's a turning mechansim.

Turn and unscrew that and you'll notice the centre column sort of unscrews and separates at the place where it splits. Once you loosen that gizmo at the base it's a doddle to simply remove the bottom half of the centre column.

Hope that helps.

Pol
Old 15-10-08
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Nice one Ian, I look forward to your reports on the others. As regards this one, I agree about the geared centre column, there is no need for it. Centre columns should be used sparingly IMHO anyway, but a simple clamp type would do in this case. I also am not a big fan of the video style pan arm and can see no real advantage is using this style of mechanism except maybe it serves a dual purpose. I just find the long arm a bit of a nuisance.
I have to agree the long arm can sometimes be a tad 'in the way' - but I also find my Manfrotto pan/tilt head can be a a nuisance with all the bits and pieces waiting to catch on a sleeve or whatever. That's one of the reasons I usually prefer the joystick ballhead.

The Velbon is, without a doubt, a canny tripod and very reasonable at the price imo. We have two of them and they're ideal for the car boot or under the bed in the camper - so we always have at a tripod with us. The 750 isn't the best for rough and heavy terrain, nor for a very heavy long lens - but for for fairly sturdy general use it's well worth the dosh. It's not too heavy or bulky to carry either - comes with a decent shoulder bag.

Pol
Old 15-10-08
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Jo, look down at the base of the centre column and you'll see a black knob. It's a sort of wheel thing that turns - it has notches to give it grip. It looks a bit like it's just there to 'cap' the base of the centre column but it's not a 'cap' it's a turning mechansim.

Turn and unscrew that and you'll notice the centre column sort of unscrews and separates at the place where it splits. Once you loosen that gizmo at the base it's a doddle to simply remove the bottom half of the centre column.

Hope that helps.

Pol

Jo,

I've just been away adding a red arrow to one of Ian's pics (hope you don't mind, Ian). The red arrow points to the wheely knob thing you need to turn to release the bottom half of the centre column.

Pol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	split-wheel.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1426  
Old 15-10-08
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post

Hope that helps.

Pol

Gawd bless ya Pol, done it! Also just worked out how to get the legs to splay Well, I've only had it a year, these things take time don't they

Ta very much for the KISS explanation.

jo
Old 15-10-08
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Gawd bless ya Pol, done it! Also just worked out how to get the legs to splay Well, I've only had it a year, these things take time don't they

Ta very much for the KISS explanation.

jo

I just happen to be married to a bloke who has a room cluttered with loads of these things and he spends ages shoving them in my face as he fiddles about with them ... chattering non-stop as he fiddles.

Pol