Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion

DSLR and other system camera discussion The place on DPNow.com for discussing Digital Single Lens Reflex camera issues and up and coming mirrorless or SLT system cameras.

View Poll Results: Choose one of the following:
I don't really know anything about hybrid cameras. 1 5.26%
Hybrid cameras are only of moderate passing interest to me. 8 42.11%
I'm pretty sure I'm convinced and will be buying a hybrid camera in the next year or so. 2 10.53%
I'n absolutely sure I won't be buying a hybrid camera in the next year so. 2 10.53%
I already have a hybrid camera and it was the right choice. 6 31.58%
I already have a hybrid camera and I'm disappointed with it. 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-01-10
Admin

Liked at 70 Times in 54 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Question Poll - is a hybrid camera in your future?

To accompany my recent article on the subject, I'd like to find out how interested DPNow visitors are in hybrid interchangeable lens cameras.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 21-01-10
Forum veteran

Liked at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Bob Ross is on a distinguished road
Re: Poll - is a hybrid camera in your future?

There could be a choice more along the lines of "I don't think the Hybrid concept has reached a viable maturity and will wait."
Though I am more than moderatly interested, I voted that way. A lot of technological evolution is underway to bring this concept to its full expression and since I have more digital cameras than I need, waiting and watching closely is an appropriate option for me.
There is a side class or sub-group to the Hybrid and that is the fixed lens-large sensor camera like the Sony R-1, Sigma DP* and Leica's X-1, which if done right could interest folks who don't want to make lens investments or carry extra lenses when traveling.
DPR calls these things ILCs (interchangeable lens compacts) and by my reconing this would include my M8, which is more compact than my E-3. Not sure it fits the Hybrid def., without live view, but it hasn't got a mirror and does have interchangeable lenses.....
Bob
Old 21-01-10
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
There could be a choice more along the lines of "I don't think the Hybrid concept has reached a viable maturity and will wait."
Though I am more than moderatly interested, I voted that way. A lot of technological evolution is underway to bring this concept to its full expression and since I have more digital cameras than I need, waiting and watching closely is an appropriate option for me.
There is a side class or sub-group to the Hybrid and that is the fixed lens-large sensor camera like the Sony R-1, Sigma DP* and Leica's X-1, which if done right could interest folks who don't want to make lens investments or carry extra lenses when traveling.
DPR calls these things ILCs (interchangeable lens compacts) and by my reconing this would include my M8, which is more compact than my E-3. Not sure it fits the Hybrid def., without live view, but it hasn't got a mirror and does have interchangeable lenses.....
Bob
Samsung call them hybrids and that's my preference - they are a hybrid of compact and DSLR features.

The Leica M is surprisingly big when you see it in the metal - and heavy

I think Photokina may well be dominated by hybrid type camera announcements. PMA is looking rather bereft of exciting news if the grapevine is anything to go by I think the show is in big trouble, and Canon isn't going, for example.

Ian
Old 21-01-10
Forum veteran

Liked at 32 Times in 25 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

It is interesting to see that the poll shows the highest votes for those who already have a hybrid and are happy with it. However, it does not state whether those who have these have them in addition to DSLR's and/or compacts and I would have been interested to know that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 21-01-10
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Samsung call them hybrids and that's my preference - they are a hybrid of compact and DSLR features.

The Leica M is surprisingly big when you see it in the metal - and heavy

I think Photokina may well be dominated by hybrid type camera announcements. PMA is looking rather bereft of exciting news if the grapevine is anything to go by I think the show is in big trouble, and Canon isn't going, for example.

Ian
HI Ian,
The weight thing about the Leica Ms isn't about the M8/9body, into which they have crammed everything and kept to the tradition, but it is in the lenses. The teles are bigger and heavy, but the wide and normal are very compact. I have a 28/2.8, 35/2 & 50/2 and they are buttons compared to their SLR cousins. And, of course, you wont find much plastic in the construction.
That is interesting about PMA. I have heard similar elsewhere and I wonder how the organizers rubbed the participant/exibitors the wrong way. There is that show in Tokyo...
I was going to ask, what camera you would grab on your way to PMA....a Hybrid? Would it be different for Tokyo?
Autumn's point is interesting, because on a forum such as this we'll probably hear from DSLR owners first and then a few P&S move-ups.
Bob
Old 22-01-10
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
HI Ian,
The weight thing about the Leica Ms isn't about the M8/9body, into which they have crammed everything and kept to the tradition, but it is in the lenses. The teles are bigger and heavy, but the wide and normal are very compact. I have a 28/2.8, 35/2 & 50/2 and they are buttons compared to their SLR cousins. And, of course, you wont find much plastic in the construction.
That is interesting about PMA. I have heard similar elsewhere and I wonder how the organizers rubbed the participant/exibitors the wrong way. There is that show in Tokyo...
I was going to ask, what camera you would grab on your way to PMA....a Hybrid? Would it be different for Tokyo?
Autumn's point is interesting, because on a forum such as this we'll probably hear from DSLR owners first and then a few P&S move-ups.
Bob
If I do go to PMA next month, I will bring a hybrid, there is no doubt. I would be sending video reports and the ideal camera would be a Panasonic GH1. I probably wouldn't use a GF1 or a Samsung NX10 because they have mono-only sound for video. I have an Olympus Pen E-P2 and this would be my choice if I couldn't lay my hands on a GH1.

Ian
Old 22-01-10
Forum veteran

Ian, your choice is the telling, when it comes to the tool for the web journalist. Generally your output here on the web or even in printed magazines doesn't require massive resolution or HD video, to get the information across. This may also hold true for the average traveler, too.
That would be an interesting subject to discuss with the current makers of Hybrids....a camera taylored to the photojournalist of today's mediums.
Something like the E-P2 with a second accessory port and maybe a way to attach the microphones to the tripod socket and be able to use the EVF. Also be able to use a flash (side mounted) with the EVF. Being able to strip off the accessories for a compact unit has its advantages. Some user settings memories would be useful so that you can have a video set and a stills set, that could be quickly changed.
A fun time for the craft.
Bob