View Single Post
Old 03-06-11
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
kennykodak is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on posting in the Critique forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
There are so many opinions on this, which is why it is such an interesting topic for discussion.

Subjective assessment is always biased by personal preference. My favorite example is the way the avarage quality picture of a red squirrel sitting up eating a nut, will score higher than the technically excellent image of a Rat eating a dead pigeon...

The variety of assessment criteria is huge, with emphasis on what is the most important, varying from place to place and even changing with time as various aspects gain and lose popularity.

For me originality is something I enjoy and when judging competitions will often reward this above technical quality.

This for me is what makes photography so interesting. I've had a judge score my images with top marks only to have another dismiss them as below avarage. But that's all part of the game, and as long as I'm happy with what I've done, if someone else likes it that's the bonus...
we are in agreement in the definition of "impact" which is up there with the definition of "what is art?" i have set on juries for the PPA enough to know the likes and dislikes of some of the other jurors before prints were presented. a panel in one room would score a piece higher than a panel across the hall, same print - different personalities. your analogy of the Rat is a valid point. war casualties would score high on "impact" but disgust the jury. my point is consider impact as "wow factor" which could be your red squirrel if presented with some drama be it color depth or something other making stand above and beyond a good capture.