View Single Post
Old 09-08-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Canon vs Sigma lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Susan and welcome to the DPNow forum!

Patrick on here has been a Sigma stalwart for a long time and until he swapped his Canon EOS-7D system for a Micro Four Thirds Panasonic set up he owned a good selection of Sigma lenses.

He may be able to give you some personal experiences with particular Sigma lenses. My experience is that Sigma's cheaper lenses are not nearly as impressive as their more expensive higher quality ones.

The Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS is an excellent performer for the price. I have a read a few reviews of the Sigma 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 DG OS and it's a good performer but I have a suspicion that in this case the Canon is the better lens. On a personal note, I'm not that keen on the matte finish that Sigma feature on some of their lenses and the 70-300 is one of these.

It's great to have a member from Hanoi - the closest I have got to Vietnam is standing on the Thai bank of the Mekong river at Mukdahan on the Laos border. I hear Vietnam is a wonderful place to visit!

Ian
Sigma are now moving away from the matt finish, and now use a sort of satin finish claimed to be harder wearing. If or not this new finish has worked it way through to all lenses I don't know.

Patrick