View Single Post
Old 21-01-15

Liked at 133 Times in 95 Posts
mike_j is on a distinguished road
Re: Bird photography in comfort

Quote:
They really are cracking shots, Mike.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm fascinated. Are you using something such as 'DSLR Controller' with a handheld device (eg an android tablet or phone) or are you using a laptop?

Pol
Hi Pol

Glad you like the pictures.

The pan and tilt is a
unit which gives 340 degree horizontal and 30 degree vertical movement. It does work well both for stills and video.

I'm using it with a Sony A7 camera, full frame but operating in APS 10Mpx mode with an 18-200mm E system lens. The photos above were taken at an equivalent focal length of around 135mm at about 4-6 feet. I have had reasonable weather and haven't had to use any camouflage on the tripod or lens, the birds don't seem to mind the slight whirr of the power head, indeed it helps as they sometimes look at it giving a better image.

The free Sony smart remote control app works with the standard Sony wi-fi on certain cameras and both Android and Apple tablets. It gives live view, and controls mode (PASM), exposure compensation, aperture, speed, ISO and touch focus. The exact functionality depends on the lens. I don't have a power zoom lens so have to pre-set this manually.

The app is prone to delay and crashing but is usable. No doubt other manufacturers have similar offerings.

Ideally it would be good to have a single integrated control on the Nexus tablet but for a relatively modest expenditure this has proved very usable system. Main problem is that at present I only have about 25 ft of cable. I may buy a longer cable or modify the system to radio control. I'm not sure what range the wi-fi has so that may also be a limiting factor.

Last edited by mike_j; 21-01-15 at 07:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike_j For This Useful Post:
Pol (22-01-15)
The Following User likes this post by mike_j:
Pol (22-01-15)