View Single Post
Old 09-07-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: Hamilton's inexperience showed through today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
On the one hand, clearly, starting on pole, two places ahead of your team mate and finishing third, behind your team mate, was not the result Lewis Hamilton should have delivered. On the other, it's easy to forget how inexperienced he is and he still managed to finish on the podium, maintaining that unbeaten record - now 9 races in a row.
In fairness to Hamilton, I don't think he had the car under him this weekend that he's been used to in F1 so far, whereas Alonso certainly did. Sometimes the set ups for a given weekend just don't work properly and in Lewis's case, this weekend was one of those occasions.

On the subject of Lewis's record in F1, well I don't think there's been a driver in the history of the sport who's achieved so many poles, race wins and podium finishes in their first season (let alone half a season...) as Hamilton, so he has very little to worry about. And he's still leading the championship by an impressive margin...

Quote:
Alonso, with the benefit of his experience, did a better job than Hamilton this weekend, but Ferrari - at least Raikkonen's one, did best of all, though Massa was on fire having started from the back. I think it would have been too close to call between the two Ferrari drivers if Massa's car hadn't stalled on the starting grid.
Alonso was clearly more comfortable in his car this weekend than Hamilton, but discounting his nifty pit strategy during the first round of stops, he (Alonso) did very little to impress. He's undoubtedly experienced and he has a safe, consistent style which works when he has a great package under him, but he isn't in the same league for pure skill and racecraft as Lewis and Kimi.

The same applies to Massa. He had a superb car under him this weekend and starting from the pitlane gave him a huge incentive to push, but all he really did was pass slower, less capable cars before hitting a brick wall with Kubica in the BMW, which is known to be half a second a lap slower than the Ferrari F2007 around Silverstone. He certainly worked hard, but given the advantage his car had over the opposition, I don't think he did anything too special and he certainly wasn't (or isn't) in Kimi's league for speed or outright skill.

Quote:
McLaren are just marginally off the Ferrari pace at the moment and should, judging by their record there, maintain their advantage at the Nurburgring in two weeks.
McLaren's development pace will ensure that they'll be as competitive or more so than Ferrari very soon, if not in time for the Nurburgring race. However if nothing changes in the next fortnight, I'd certainly put my money on Kimi and Massa regaining a little more championship ground