View Single Post
Old 09-05-12
Forum veteran
Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road
Re: tips needed for taking photos of the full solar eclipse

Hi Dave, thanks a lot for the kind and useful advices.

I decided to go to Aichi pref. and not Tokyo although that place I have in mind is not under the central line. It is however a wide parking lot at top of a mountain and as far as I remember there are no obstacles in the direction of east. I also prefer that I can pick up gears instantly from car depending on needs, which is probably not easy in Tokyo. Besides I can stay at a camping site from the previous day.
The annular eclipse time is however by around 30 sec. shorter there than in Tokyo. 4 min 30 sec. or so. Total eclipse time is approx. two hours.

I will make a photo taking plan as I do not think I can think and determine what to do promptly on the spot.

Meanwhile I bought a CF and three SDHC cards so that I do not have to worry about the memory capacity. All of them are 32GB.

I still do not fully understand what a sun filter is. Will look for it in Tokyo when I stop over there.
I also have in mind to use an old floppy disk sheet or DVD for compact cameras but not fully sure if it works properly. Shame we have here deep cloudy or rainy days for the past three days or so.

As for lenses, I think I will use a zoom 350mm and extender x2 for tele purpose.
When I used the combination last time for lunar eclipse I had difficulties in finding the moon in the frame as the moon was just upright and my camera (20D&7D) have no arituculated monitor screen. And the ball head, althogh its quite large, does not allow me to set up an exact framing with this heavy conmbination.

About neutral density filter ND400, I understand UV is harmful to eyes. Is it however sufficiently dark for taking pictures of the sun? I'm thinking to use a live view of 7D.

I will leave Fukushima in a few days to perform lots of odd jobs.

Hope I can take some photos worth doing this all.
thanks again.