DPNow.com Discussion Forum

DPNow.com Discussion Forum (http://dpnow.com/forum2/index.php)
-   Headline news (http://dpnow.com/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship (http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=170)

Ian 14-09-06 12:07 AM

Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 

I was able to have a brief play with the new K10D last week. You can read my take on the new Pentax K10D (actually we are having some server problems tonight, so I'm sorry if you find some corrupted pages), but I'm much more interested in what YOU think. :cool:

Ian

JoLeady 14-09-06 03:30 AM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Couldn't get to your review Ian, but the propoganda from Kodak sounds good...sadly I think I have buckleys seeing as my DL is only a year old :(

Ian 14-09-06 06:25 AM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoLeady (Post 658)
Couldn't get to your review Ian, but the propoganda from Kodak sounds good...sadly I think I have buckleys seeing as my DL is only a year old :(

Hi Jo - the link was bad, sorry - corrected now (http://dpnow.com/3005.html)

ian

Pol 14-09-06 06:45 AM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
I have the istD, one of the originals from 2003, and I have to say I'm delighted with what this new K10D has to offer - a clear upgrade for the istD this time. :)

I was slightly suprised there was no CF support, along with the SD, but that's ok. I also like being able to carry spare CRV3 batteries for the istD but the battery grip for the K10D looks good, if required.

I'm delighted to see they've kept the front control wheel for the Hyper Program functions (layout is the same as the istD) as that's something I wouldn't like to be without - I use it all the time on the istD and it's ideal, excellent layout for quick/easy exposure changes.

I'd been expecting the SR feature but was delighted to see AD too. All that dust and weather sealing was also unexpected but very welcome! :)

I'm also interested to note that the price is likely to be less than I'd expected - ie less than $1000, though heck knows how that'll translate into once it reaches this side of the pond.

I'd like to have one, like to see how it performs with my current lenses, which should, in effect all have instant new potential because of the in-camera SR. I was also pleased to read some info about the new lenses, expected later next year.

I can't see anything about a cable switch socket. I imagine that's above the ac/dc socket, behind the flap on the side. Is that so?

Pol

Ian 14-09-06 06:55 AM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pol (Post 660)
I have the istD, one of the originals from 2003, and I have to say I'm delighted with what this new K10D has to offer - a clear upgrade for the istD this time. :)

I was slightly suprised there was no CF support, along with the SD, but that's ok. I also like being able to carry spare CRV3 batteries for the istD but the battery grip for the K10D looks good, if required.

I'm delighted to see they've kept the front control wheel for the Hyper Program functions (layout is the same as the istD) as that's something I wouldn't like to be without - I use it all the time on the istD and it's ideal, excellent layout for quick/easy exposure changes.

I'd been expecting the SR feature but was delighted to see AD too. All that dust and weather sealing was also unexpected but very welcome! :)

I'm also interested to note that the price is likely to be less than I'd expected - ie less than $1000, though heck knows how that'll translate into once it reaches this side of the pond.

I'd like to have one, like to see how it performs with my current lenses, which should, in effect all have instant new potential because of the in-camera SR. I was also pleased to read some info about the new lenses, expected later next year.

I can't see anything about a cable switch socket. I imagine that's above the ac/dc socket, behind the flap on the side. Is that so?

Pol

Good point about the cable socket (presumably you mean a cable release?). I will try and find an answer for you.

Ian

Pol 14-09-06 07:07 AM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 661)
Good point about the cable socket (presumably you mean a cable release?). I will try and find an answer for you.

Ian

Yes, I do refer to the cable release socket. I'm 'neurotic' about it since the Nikon D70 was released without any means of using a cable!

I have a feeling it might be behind that flap on the side, near the K10 logo.

Pol

Stephen 14-09-06 10:05 AM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pol (Post 663)
Yes, I do refer to the cable release socket. I'm 'neurotic' about it since the Nikon D70 was released without any means of using a cable!

I have a feeling it might be behind that flap on the side, near the K10 logo.

Pol

Pol there is a picture of the socket on dpreview http://www.dpreview.com/articles/Pen...nnectors01.jpg
However I note there in no separate co-axial socket for using sync leads to external flash

Pol 14-09-06 11:49 AM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 666)
Pol there is a picture of the socket on dpreview http://www.dpreview.com/articles/Pen...nnectors01.jpg
However I note there in no separate co-axial socket for using sync leads to external flash

Thanks. That's where I suspected, and hoped it might be.

I never used anything other than slaves externally and, even then, only with help from David - so I can't comment further on that one.

Pol

Pol 14-09-06 04:05 PM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
The other unexpected but welcome feature is that there's an option to use DNG as well as PEF.

I've been archiving with DNG for quite a while now.

Pol

eReL 14-09-06 11:41 PM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Hi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by K10D Preview
First Pentax DSLR to be compatible with planned introduction of supersonic motor-driven lenses but these new lenses won't be here until next year and we understand they won't work on older Pentax SLRs, including the K100D

...

Supersonic lenses

Unfortunately, it looks like the new lenses will not operate on cameras released prior to the K10D.

According to yesterdays post by a Pentax Europe product manager on a German forum, the supersonic lenses will operate on older bodies.

Ian 15-09-06 06:41 AM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eReL (Post 691)
Hi!



According to yesterdays post by a Pentax Europe product manager on a German forum, the supersonic lenses will operate on older bodies.

Oh well, it's the kind of thing you'd want to get across if this was a known certainty, but at the UK launch I was told no. Did he say what limitations there might be? If the new lenses will work on older bodies, why are the two new contact pins required in the K10D?

Ian

Ian 15-09-06 03:41 PM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pol (Post 663)
Yes, I do refer to the cable release socket. I'm 'neurotic' about it since the Nikon D70 was released without any means of using a cable!

I have a feeling it might be behind that flap on the side, near the K10 logo.

Pol

Pentax tell me that the socket is under the same flap that hides the USB/video-out ports, so it does seem to be the same as the *istD.

Ian

Pol 15-09-06 03:55 PM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 708)
Pentax tell me that the socket is under the same flap that hides the USB/video-out ports, so it does seem to be the same as the *istD.

Ian

Yes thanks, Stephen pointed me to an image showing where it is.

The istD has it in a different place actually - it's approximately where the Manual/AF switch is on the new K10D. I think maybe the later DL,DS etc might have it behind the flap, as on the K10D

I'm interested to note how few people realise that the istD (ie just a D, as opposed to DL, DS etc) was quite different to the later models. The D has always had the front control wheel facility for easy hyper-program etc. I believe the later models (DL, DS) didn't have the same controls.

So the K10D is much the same in layout and appearance as the original D - though the K10D has new and additional functions.

Pol

eReL 15-09-06 08:25 PM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 692)
If the new lenses will work on older bodies, why are the two new contact pins required in the K10D?

The pins are required to power the in-lens motor. But if the new lenses are compatible with old bodies, they could be equipped with the old AF-transmission as well.

Ian 16-09-06 08:45 AM

Re: Pentax reveals 10MP weather-sealed DSLR flagship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eReL (Post 719)
The pins are required to power the in-lens motor. But if the new lenses are compatible with old bodies, they could be equipped with the old AF-transmission as well.

I'm reminded by a Pentax expert that the two pins are located in a similar position to pins that used to be required for early power zoom lenses, but there is no confirmation if the positions are identical.

I suppose it is more than likely that the mechanical drive can be supported for older bodies. I just wish I could get a definitive answer on this. I'll be on the case at Photokina :)

Ian


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Digital Photography Now, 2001-2012, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger