DPNow.com Discussion Forum

DPNow.com Discussion Forum (https://dpnow.com/forum2/index.php)
-   Lighting - flash and flood (https://dpnow.com/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Ring flash (https://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=15004)

TheBull1875 02-05-13 08:39 AM

Ring flash
 
Thinking of getting a ring flash. Couple of questions though. I am assuming they will fit on any camera as long as the thread size is right? That is it will fit on the D90 plus the Pen ? I see a lot of LED units? I guess they are not so good going by the price of them?

Patrick 02-05-13 11:20 AM

Re: Ring flash
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBull1875 (Post 74152)
Thinking of getting a ring flash. Couple of questions though. I am assuming they will fit on any camera as long as the thread size is right? That is it will fit on the D90 plus the Pen ? I see a lot of LED units? I guess they are not so good going by the price of them?

They come with a set of adapters for the most common thread sizes, other sizes are usually available to purchase if required.
Sigma do excellent ring flash dedicated to Nikon, also Canon and Sony versions, well built and less expensive than the camera manufacturers, although still not cheap.
Canít comment on LED donít know much about them.

Patrick

Ian 02-05-13 11:24 AM

Re: Ring flash
 
The advantage of LED is that the light can be used to focus and compose. They are also generally cheaper than ring flash units. You may get more consistent shadows with a ring flash though, if that is important.

Ian

TheBull1875 02-05-13 12:56 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
Thanks guys. So the LED ones are basically a light as opposed to a flash Ian? That makes sense I guess. I will have a look at the Sigmas Patrick. I was looking to get away from dedicated ones so as I could use it on both cameras hence I was looking at non Nikon or Olympus.

Patrick 02-05-13 01:14 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBull1875 (Post 74157)
Thanks guys. So the LED ones are basically a light as opposed to a flash Ian? That makes sense I guess. I will have a look at the Sigmas Patrick. I was looking to get away from dedicated ones so as I could use it on both cameras hence I was looking at non Nikon or Olympus.

Not sure but I think Sigma only make dedicated ring flash.

Patrick

Patrick 02-05-13 01:35 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 74159)
Not sure but I think Sigma only make dedicated ring flash.

Patrick

An alternative of course is not to use ring flash but a pair of conventional flash set on a flash bar, one flash either side of the lens. This gives a very similar result to a ring flash.
Yongnuo make some very good none dedicated guns the YN460II or the more powerfull and better featured YN560. As a pair the YN460II would probably be your best option and would cost less than £100 ($150 approximately) for the pair. Search eBay for the best deals direct from China.

I have three YN460II's and a YN560 for my speedlight studio setup, they are excellent, power output can be controllered by 7 stops, so lower light levels can be used for macro work.

Patrick

Ian 02-05-13 01:55 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBull1875 (Post 74157)
Thanks guys. So the LED ones are basically a light as opposed to a flash Ian? That makes sense I guess. I will have a look at the Sigmas Patrick. I was looking to get away from dedicated ones so as I could use it on both cameras hence I was looking at non Nikon or Olympus.

Yes - not like LED 'flash' on mobile phones; LED lights for photography act as a continuous light source and so are also useful for video recording. This looks like it's good value:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/digitalph...ail/B008CZL3WO

(order from that page and DPNow gets a small commission!)

Ian

TheBull1875 02-05-13 02:47 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 74160)
An alternative of course is not to use ring flash but a pair of conventional flash set on a flash bar, one flash either side of the lens. This gives a very similar result to a ring flash.
Yongnuo make some very good none dedicated guns the YN460II or the more powerfull and better featured YN560. As a pair the YN460II would probably be your best option and would cost less than £100 ($150 approximately) for the pair. Search eBay for the best deals direct from China.

I have three YN460II's and a YN560 for my speedlight studio setup, they are excellent, power output can be controllered by 7 stops, so lower light levels can be used for macro work.

Patrick

Hmmm, more complicated than I thought then. Things to ponder. For sure I will use the link if I go for this Ian. Thinking about it, I guess the LED one would mahe more sense as I could use it on both cameras whereas if I go for a non LED I would ahve to get one for each. Wee bit overkill I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 74161)
Yes - not like LED 'flash' on mobile phones; LED lights for photography act as a continuous light source and so are also useful for video recording. This looks like it's good value:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/digitalph...ail/B008CZL3WO

(order from that page and DPNow gets a small commission!)

Ian


devilgas 02-05-13 02:48 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
spookily, i had an LED one delivered 2 days ago. it can be used in flash or continuous light mode. that said, the power isn't up to much, but for £20 it was worth a punt. for people shots i'd be more tempted to use it in constant mode, coupled with off camera strobe units. the ring light would be there purely as a catch-light source - which was always my intention.

Ian 02-05-13 03:11 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
Yes these LED units can't match the power of a Xenon flash but this should not be a problem for macro work.

Ian

Patrick 02-05-13 04:03 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBull1875 (Post 74165)
Hmmm, more complicated than I thought then. Things to ponder. For sure I will use the link if I go for this Ian. Thinking about it, I guess the LED one would mahe more sense as I could use it on both cameras whereas if I go for a non LED I would ahve to get one for each. Wee bit overkill I guess.

LED advantage constant light, (any idea Ian on the light output of these units Ian)
LED disadvantage may be lower light output so either a wide aperture, or slow shutter speed or even both depending on ambient light.

Flash advantage more light control, short flash duration the equivelent to 1/1000 sec or faster, and the ability to use smaller aperture, both depending on subject matter could be valuable, particularly the ability to stop down and use small aperture for maximum depth of field, which will be extremly narrow with macro work. The closer you get the narrower it becomes.
If extension tubes are used extra light becomes even more important as the inverse square law kicks in and light reaching the sensor is heavily reduced still further.

Lots to think about, it all of course depends on the type of macro work you intend doing, which is the main reason for ring lighting in the first place. Ring flash works fine for portrait, (can't say for LED without known light output) but you are restricted to head & shoulders only, due to the lower power of ring flash. Perhaps if you indicated the type of photography you intend using the flash for we may e able to offer more focused advice.

They do make studio ring flash, big bulky expencive things but powerful, also ring flash adapters for conventional camera mounted flash guns, they are not cheap either and I doubt suitable for macro work.

Patrick

Graham_of_Rainham 02-05-13 04:07 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
OR: If you only want to "try-B4U-buy" / play with things, there is always the DiY solution. :cool:

I've made several with LED Ring Lights, powered by old mobile phone chargers, but this was the most successful as it was fully adjustable.

The LEDs are rated at 6400įK and run at 8-12 Volts and give 2.7 stops of illumination at ISO 200

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/5...acro_Light.jpg

TheBull1875 02-05-13 04:25 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
Graham, that looks brilliant!!!! I am afraid my technical skills run to picking up the phone and calling for help!!!

Flash to be used for mainly macro but also portraits if possible Patrick

Graham_of_Rainham 02-05-13 04:48 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBull1875 (Post 74175)
Graham, that looks brilliant!!!! I am afraid my technical skills run to picking up the phone and calling for help!!!

Flash to be used for mainly macro but also portraits if possible Patrick

It really is VERY simple... Much like a "Blue Peter" product :\

No where near enough light output for portraits. The range is about 2ft maximum with optimum lighting within the range of the 35 & 50mm Macro Lenses in Macro mode.

If you want lots of light, to work at a distance, then something like this will do the trick. :eek:
http://dpnow.com/galleries/data/500/Hydra_Flash.jpg

But make sure the person knows just how powerful the flash will be.
Even "normal" ring flash can be a bit bright for a lot of people, in much the same way as bare on-camera flash. :cool:

Softening the light gives by far the better results.

TheBull1875 02-05-13 04:53 PM

Re: Ring flash
 
Yikes, eek and every other expletive I can think of but cannot write!!!! That is a monster.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:43 AM.


© Digital Photography Now, 2001-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger