DPNow.com Discussion Forum

DPNow.com Discussion Forum (https://dpnow.com/forum2/index.php)
-   Eye of the camera (https://dpnow.com/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Another E5 Image (https://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=11227)

PeterD 12-11-10 02:30 AM

Another E5 Image
 
This is a Landscape shot (in case anyone thought I only shoot wildlife;)) using the Sigma 50-500 at fl of 50mm, ISO 800 and aperture f10.

http://www.imageinuk.com/Test-Images...90_gCoV4-M.jpg
Click here for larger image.

This is a good image to test colours, detail etc. I think it came out rather well at an ISO I would never have attempted to use before for this type of shot. I know I can go higher and still get a good quality image.

Ian 12-11-10 11:35 AM

Re: Another E5 Image
 
f/10 is past the sweet spot for resolution in Four Thirds too. 5.6-8 is what to aim for.

Ian

PeterD 12-11-10 11:47 AM

Re: Another E5 Image
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 53900)
f/10 is past the sweet spot for resolution in Four Thirds too. 5.6-8 is what to aim for.

Ian

Hi Ian
You are correct of course and I normally try to fix around f8. Guess it is the excitement in trying out the camera;) Well, thats my excuse:)

Stephen 12-11-10 11:55 AM

Re: Another E5 Image
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 53900)
f/10 is past the sweet spot for resolution in Four Thirds too. 5.6-8 is what to aim for.

Ian

Purely out of interest, cos I don't know the answer, would this also be the case if the lens had been at 500mm or is there no difference

Ian 12-11-10 12:20 PM

Re: Another E5 Image
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 53902)
Purely out of interest, cos I don't know the answer, would this also be the case if the lens had been at 500mm or is there no difference

I wasn't referring to the lens characteristics. It's a down to the sensor size/pixel pitch and aperture, regardless of focal length. Beyond a certain aperture (reducing its diameter, so increasing the f-number value) diffraction will cause the maximum possible resolution of the camera to be reduced (in other words the image will get progressively softer beyond a threshold aperture).

With Olympus/Panasonic Four Thirds cameras with 12 megapixel sensors the threshold is about f/9. With the older 5MP sensor of the Olympus E-1 the threshold is about f/12.

With your Canon EOS-5D Mark II the limit is about f/12, and your 8MP 1D it's about f/14.

A Canon 18MP APS-C sensor camera has its threshold at about f/9.

A typical 14MP compact camera is limited to around f/3.5 before diffraction softening kicks in.

Ian

Pol 12-11-10 12:21 PM

Re: Another E5 Image
 
I'm watching this one out of interest too.

I reckon the image Peter has shown looks good, certainly very acceptable, no problems whatsoever imho.

As for ISO 800 at 500mm ... not an unual setting for wildlife and birds. Getting the shot is what matters of course but I suspect this kit's gonna cut the mustard. If so I can see why people are chuffed with the E5.

Pol

Stephen 12-11-10 01:19 PM

Re: Another E5 Image
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 53903)
I wasn't referring to the lens characteristics. It's a down to the sensor size/pixel pitch and aperture, regardless of focal length. Beyond a certain aperture (reducing its diameter, so increasing the f-number value) diffraction will cause the maximum possible resolution of the camera to be reduced (in other words the image will get progressively softer beyond a threshold aperture).

With Olympus/Panasonic Four Thirds cameras with 12 megapixel sensors the threshold is about f/9. With the older 5MP sensor of the Olympus E-1 the threshold is about f/12.

With your Canon EOS-5D Mark II the limit is about f/12, and your 8MP 1D it's about f/14.

A Canon 18MP APS-C sensor camera has its threshold at about f/9.

A typical 14MP compact camera is limited to around f/3.5 before diffraction softening kicks in.

Ian

Thanks Ian for the info. Whilst I'm aware of the so called sweet spot, as a photographer I often have to consider the depth of focus more. If I want to get sharp focus throughout the photo, or indeed limited depth of focus, this can be more important. I'm doing a job on Monday for example where I will be photographing aisles in a supermarket and the depth of focus is the priority. Doing a landscape with no foreground or a flat subject where dof is not a priority, then I can see the sweet spot could be the priority

Ian 12-11-10 01:26 PM

Re: Another E5 Image
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 53907)
Thanks Ian for the info. Whilst I'm aware of the so called sweet spot, as a photographer I often have to consider the depth of focus more. If I want to get sharp focus throughout the photo, or indeed limited depth of focus, this can be more important. I'm doing a job on Monday for example where I will be photographing aisles in a supermarket and the depth of focus is the priority. Doing a landscape with no foreground or a flat subject where dof is not a priority, then I can see the sweet spot could be the priority

Absolutely - there is a balancing act to be done between depth of field and the diffraction limit threshold. Peter's shot of a distant scene at 50mm didn't require f/10, which he concurs :)

When doing product photography I'm often stopping the lens down to f/16 or f/22 in order to get more depth of field.

Ian


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Digital Photography Now, 2001-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger