DPNow.com Discussion Forum

DPNow.com Discussion Forum (http://dpnow.com/forum2/index.php)
-   Golden Gallery discussion (http://dpnow.com/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Are you good enough for the DPNow Golden Gallery? (http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=4359)

DPNow 30-10-07 08:40 PM

Are you good enough for the DPNow Golden Gallery?

DPNow.com is throwing down the gauntlet to any photographers who feel they are a cut above the rest. The new DPNow Golden Gallery will only feature pictures that are of exceptional quality, with a real 'wow' factor. Would you like to be celebrated as a photographer with an image good enough for the DPNow Golden Gallery? If so, read on.

More...

fluffy penguin 30-10-07 09:00 PM

Re: Are you good enough for the DPNow Golden Gallery?

sounds interesting, look forward to seeing some exceptional photos.:D

fluffy penguin 30-10-07 09:01 PM

A question if we see a photo in the galleries are we allowed to nominate.?

Pops 30-10-07 09:06 PM

Can you please define ...
<quote>we're not interested in clichéd imagery [/quote>

Ian 30-10-07 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffy penguin (Post 24985)
A question if we see a photo in the galleries are we allowed to nominate.?

Nothing to stop you from highlighting pictures that are already on the gallery - either here or by contacting the photographer. Go for it!

Ian

Ian 30-10-07 09:39 PM

Well, it's hard to define - but we aren't really looking for pictures that have been done many times by different people. I'd think a sunset would have to be amazing and to have some added interest compared to the zillions we have all seen before, for example.

Ian

Patrick 30-10-07 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 24989)
Well, it's hard to define - but we aren't really looking for pictures that have been done many times by different people. I'd think a sunset would have to be amazing and to have some added interest compared to the zillions we have all seen before, for example.

Ian

Other than questions already asked, who are the DP now experts that are to accept the pictures.

Patrick

Stephen 31-10-07 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 24993)
Other than questions already asked, who are the DP now experts that are to accept the pictures.

Patrick

Patrick, I think it fair to say that so far Ian and I have put our heads on the block. This is a totally new venture for DPNow, we want it to work, but realise it won't be easy. We have a vision, people might call it an opinion as to what we are looking for in terms of excellence. However it is quite possible that others will be asked to join what must remain a very small team of screeners. Perhaps you are up for it?

Frankly though I would hope that it should not matter too much who it is so long as a good standard can be maintained and images that have something special are accepted.

I for one hope that this is something that can develop and mature, there are going to be teething troubles to begin with so we would appreciate members cooperation to help us get through these.

fluffy penguin 31-10-07 08:27 AM

may I ask,
When a photograph gets picked to go forward, will you be able to give a brief outline of why, so the lesser photographers among us, have an idea, of what I am doing wrong.
thank you..

Stephen 31-10-07 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffy penguin (Post 24998)
may I ask,
When a photograph gets picked to go forward, will you be able to give a brief outline of why, so the lesser photographers among us, have an idea, of what I am doing wrong.
thank you..

It has never been the intention that we comment individually on photos that have been accepted. It really would be difficult to do that anyway. Its my opinion that accepted images will speak for themselves.

Ian 31-10-07 09:37 AM

Hi Patrick. Stephen and I will have no problem in weeding out many submissions. It will also be easy identify images that are so good they must be accepted. For borderline images or those that are of a genre we may not have a particular interest in, I will seek the advice of various contacts in the industry, including professional photographers.

Remember, this not a competition. We won't be choosing between a selection of images. Any image that is deemed worthy will be featured.

If anyone finds they are rejected and wishes to debate the decision, they have the right of reply on the forum.

It's very early days - I think the Golden Gallery will have to prove itself. I'm confident it will, but prospective entrants will have to take a leap of faith until its reputation is established.

Ian

Ian 31-10-07 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 25003)
It has never been the intention that we comment individually on photos that have been accepted. It really would be difficult to do that anyway. Its my opinion that accepted images will speak for themselves.

I'd just like to add that we will encourage the photographers behind any successful submissions to provide information about their picture which would be of interest to readers.

Ian

paul.r.w 31-10-07 10:42 AM

No, I'm not good enough...next! :D

Seriously though, you can't expect amateurs like me to submit pictures. You'd have to pick them out of the normal gallery or other posts for us.

Ian 31-10-07 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul.r.w (Post 25008)
No, I'm not good enough...next! :D

Seriously though, you can't expect amateurs like me to submit pictures. You'd have to pick them out of the normal gallery or other posts for us.

Don't write yourself off prematurely. *nono

One of the purposes behind this exercise is to inspire good competent photographers to go one step further. Being an 'amateur' has nothing to do with it. :)

It does require some guts - being able to face rejection is important, but you will never know unless you try.

Ian

paul.r.w 31-10-07 01:16 PM

yes but, there's "Amateur" and "Amateur" !!!