Here's the challenge, we supply a less than perfect image and you make it into something special
We haven't run a Photo-Fix Challenge for far too long, so here we go once more!
It's very simple: below is our donor image. It has potential, but it deserves to be better.It's slightly over-exposed, lacks punch and the background is rather boring. You can download the JPEG (warning - the ten megapixel JPEG image file is 2.3MB large) full size original, unedited, camera image and work some magic into it and then email it back to us. And for the first time, if you prefer, you can download the 11MB RAW file. The picture was taken with a Sony Alpha A100 DSLR, which most independent RAW converters will work with.
The challenge is for you to improve this picture - are you up for it?
There are two obvious avenues for enhancing the picture. One is to fine tune it, to bring out the shadows,sharpen and improve the tonality while keeping noise in check - and, of course, to crop it in order to improve the composition, if required. The other option is to change the image radically and apply some artistic flair. Both avenues will be considered for their merits.The deadline for entries is Friday, 8th May, 2009.
A short list of the best entries will be presented soon after and then it will be down to you to vote for the best entry, overall. Winning entries will earn their owners some Amazon vouchers from the DPNow.com goodie-box. Please bear in mind that the image submitted may be printed to A4 (roughly 12x8 inches) in order to evaluate it, so please don't reduce the resolution of the image and bear in mind the printed form when processing the image.
Once you have completed your masterpiece, email it as a JPEG image file attachment (no larger than 2MB please) to: email@example.com, including your name and country of origin.
For the record - the rules:
- The copyright of the original image is owned by Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com).
- DPNow.com gives permission for the original image to be altered for artistic purposes by DPNow readers.
- By submitting an edited version of the original image it will be assumed that you are happy to be publicly associated with the image submitted.
- The work done to edit the original image must be attributable to the person who enters it.
- Entrants must agree not to use the resulting edited image for purposes, commercial or otherwise, other than personal enjoyment, without permission from DPNow.com.
- DPNow.com agrees not to use entries for any other purpose other than featuring in or publicising the DPNow.com Photo Fix Challenge without the permission of the entrant.
- Selection of the short list of best entries is the decision of the Editor and the Editor alone.
- The selection of the overall best entry will be decided solely by votes cast by DPNow readers.
- The above DPNow.com Photo Fix Challenge rules are subject to change without notice.
- All entrants will be informed of rule changes to give them an opportunity to withdraw their entries if required.
- If you would like further clarification of any aspect of the DPNow.com Photo Fix Challenge, feel free to email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discuss this story:
DPNow.com Photo Fix Challenge 4
DPNow DPNow.com Photo Fix Challenge 4
Here is a summary or excerpt from an article that has just been published on DPNow:
The Digital Pho... (more)
Ian Re: DPNow.com Photo Fix Challenge 4
Just a quick reminder that the deadline for entering the challenge (and going for a prize of some Am... (more)
jojo Re: DPNow.com Photo Fix Challenge 4
I find these "fix-it" challenges really interesting because compared to a lot of people I'm pretty r... (more)