A new EOS-1Ds flagship and long-awaited EOS-40D mid-range replacement for the ageing 30D are announced today.
Read Press Releases:
Canon announce EOS-1Ds Mark III
Canon announces EOS 40D
Today Canon breaks the 20 megapixel barrier with the new EOS-1Ds Mark III full frame DSLR. At the same time Canon has announced the much-expected replacement for the EOS-30D mid-range model.
The official UK press event is later this morning, we will be there and we will update this news story afterwards. In the meant time, here are the headline features for the two new models. Specifications will be added shortly.
EOS-1Ds Mark III
- Entirely new 21.1 Megapixel Full-Frame Canon CMOS Sensor, Highlight Tone Priority, and 14-bit A/D conversions for outstanding color tones.
- 21.1 effective megapixels (5,632 x 3,750 pixels).
- Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processor for excellent image quality and processing speed.
- Highlight Tone Priority feature takes full advantage of the camera's 14-bit per channel digital conversion to provide smoother gradations from the greys to the highlights and preserve greater detail in image highlight areas.
- Live View Function capabilities, displayed on the 3.0-inch LCD monitor.
- Shutter durability-tested to 300,000 cycles, dust- and water-resistant design, and EOS Integrated Cleaning System.
- Up to 5 fps, burst rate up to 15 consecutive RAW images or 45 full-resolution JPEGs, and compatible with newest UDMA high-speed CF cards.
- 19 high-precision, cross-type AF points with f/2.8 or faster lenses and 26 additional "Assist Points."
- Compatible with wireless file transmitter WFT-E2A, extensive remote control accessories, and 15 different interchangeable Ec-series focus screens.
- Highlight Tone Priority feature takes full advantage of the camera's 14-bit per channel digital conversion to provide smoother gradations from the grays to the highlights and preserve greater detail in image highlight areas
- "Picture Style" settings: Preferred colour, saturation, sharpness and contrast settings can be saved in images. In addition to six preset Picture Style settings (Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful and Monochrome), users can create three additional settings for their particular photographic style. Picture Style settings are applied directly to JPEG images. If RAW images are processed in Canon's Digital Photo Professional software (v. 3.2 or higher) or RAW Image Task software, the Picture Style settings can be modified or completely changed in the computer, without affecting the original file.
- New 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, with new improved noise reduction technology, and 14-bit conversion for improved color tones and gradations.
- Improved burst and continuous shooting rate now up from 5fps to 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs or 17 RAW images.
- DIGIC III Image Processor.
- Magnesium-alloy exterior, shutter durability-tested to 100,000 cycles, top speed 1/8000, top x-sync speed 1/250.
- New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors, and world's first diagonal high-precision cross-type AF at center point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Picture Style settings, Spot metering (3.5% area), and Highlight Tone Priority.
- Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor and with Live View Function plus new options for reduced shutter time lag and quiet operation.
EOS 40D body only - £899
Kit including body and ES 17-85 IS Lens - £1199
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens - £159
(not available as kit)
Discuss this story
Canon beefs up its flagship and mid-range EOS DSLR models
DPNow Canon beefs up its flagship and mid-range EOS DSLR models
Canon has today launched two new DSLRs; its new flagship is the 21 megapixel full frame EOS-1Ds Mark... (more)
Ian Re: Canon beefs up its flagship and mid-range EOS DSLR models
I was interested to discover that the new IS version of the 18-55 kit lens won't be offered as an of... (more)