TIPA, the Technical Image Press Association, has announced the results of its 2003-2004 awards.
TIPA is an amalgamation of photography magazines from across Europe. Once a year, in June, representatives from each magazine meet to vote for the 'best in' of around 20 categories of photo products and innovations. The results are then revealed each July.
Here are the results for this year - what do you think? Click here to join in the dpnow.com forum discussion.
Of the digital items in the list, Nikon's SQ compact twist and shoot camera gets the award for best design. This is interesting as it generally earned mixed praise in reviews.
Olympus notched up two awards, one for technical innovation with the newly-announced Olympus E-1 Four Thirds system, which is interesting because the voting took place just prior to the official launch on 23rd June. But, then, Olympus has been previewing the E-1 since last year.
The Olympus Mju:400 landed the best consumer digital camera.
Sony's new DSC-V1 was voted the best prosumer digital camera.
No real surprise for the award of best professional camera; the amazing 11 megapixel Canon EOS-1Ds didn't really have a lot of competition for this one.
Epson will be happy, it's the happy recipient of the best photo printer award for the Epson Stylus 900.
Epson also won the scanner section with the Perfection 3200.
Lexar was singled out for praise in the best digital accessory category for its Lexar 2GB 40x-Speed Professional Series Compact Flash card.
Other digital winners inlcuded Minolta for its Dimage Scan 5400 film scanner and Jasc for version 8 of its popular Paint Shop Pro photo-editing software.
The full list for the The TIPA Best Photo Products in Europe, 2003-2004 is:
• Pentax *ist: Best 35mm SLR Camera
• Fujifilm Zoom Date F2.8: Best 35mm Compact Camera
• Hasselblad X-Pan II: Best Prestige Camera
• Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L USM mm: Best Lens
• Olympus 4/3 Digital System: Best Innovative Technology
• Nikon Coolpix SQ: Best Design
• Hasselblad H1: Best Professional Product
• Kodak Royal Supra 200/400: Best Colour Negative Film
• Fujifilm Velvia 100F: Best Colour Slide Film
• Olympus Mju 400 Digital: Best Digital Consumer Camera
• Sony Cybershot DSC-V1: Best Digital Prosumer Camera
• Canon EOS 1Ds: Best Digital SLR System Camera
• Imacon Ixpress: Best Digital Professional Product
• Sony DCR-TRV 950: Best Camcorder
• Epson Perfection 3200 Photo: Best Flatbed Scanner
• Minolta Dimage Scan 5400: Best Film Scanner
• Epson Stylus Photo 900: Best Photo Printer
• JASC Paint Shop Pro 8: Best Consumer Software
• Tetenal Fine Art: Best Inkjet Photo Paper
• Lexar 2GB 40x-Speed Prof. Series CompactFlash: Best Digital Accessory
Discuss this story