Issued by Olympus:
Better Photos, Now Showing On The Big Screen - The Olympus µ (mju) DIGITAL 500
London, 29 November 2004
– With the µ (mju) DIGITAL 500, Olympus expands the very successful µ (mju) series with a 5.0 million pixel model. As with any µ (mju) product, its design is undeniably stylish, this time incorporating a smooth retracting lens barrier and a slick silver metal-bodied, weather-proof* casing.
The 5.0 million pixel µ (mju) DIGITAL 500 will hit the shelves from the beginning of 2005, priced Ł279.99 inc VAT (€429.99 inc VAT in Eire).
Perhaps most striking feature of the Olympus µ (mju) DIGITAL 500 is its extra-large Hyper Crystal LCD monitor. At 6.4cm / 2.5 inches it provides fantastically clear, generously sized images of your photos. And, because the liquid crystal molecules are laid out in a radial pattern, it allows viewing from angles as wide as 160° under virtually any lighting conditions. This technology also assures minimal colour variation right across all its 215,000 pixels. Blur and afterimages are virtually eradicated due to the special cell construction which has a response time of merely 25ms.
The µ (mju) DIGITAL 500’s precision 3x optical zoom lens (equivalent to 35-105mm on a 35mm camera), TruePic TURBO and 20 scene programmes - covering the whole spectrum of shooting situations ranging from traditional portraits to sub aqua – also help ensure brilliant results every time.
Video sequences with sound may be captured, with recording length limited only by available memory on the xD-Picture Card. Its capability to focus on subjects as close as 7cm away in Super Macro mode means sharp, detailed, close up photography is always in the shooters arsenal.
Support of the PictBridge standard means printing couldn’t be easier. It allows direct printing with any compatible printer, such as the Olympus P-10 Digital Photo Printer without the need for a PC.
It also comes with a 32MB xD-Picture Card, Olympus Master software, Li-12B rechargeable battery and charger. For even more versatile applications, a specially-developed underwater case (PT-026) will soon be available that protects the camera and enables shooting to a water pressure equivalent to 40 metres depth.
The Olympus µ (mju) DIGITAL 500 – main features:
• 5.0 million pixels
• Weather-proof* metal body in silver
• Retracting lens barrier
• 3x optical zoom (equiv. 35 – 105mm on 35mm camera), F3.1-5.2
• Large 6.4cm / 2.5 inch Hyper Crystal LCD with 215,000 pixels
• 20 scene programmes (Incl. Portrait, Night Scene, Self Portrait, Landscape, Candle, Sunset, Underwater, Behind Glass)
• Super Macro mode from as close as 7cm
• Movie recording function with sound
• Multi-language menu
• PictBridge support and TruePic TURBO
• Shipped with 32MB xD-Picture Card, Olympus Master Software,
Li-12B rechargeable battery, charger
• Underwater case (PT-026) option available soon
* weather-proof equivalent to the IEC standard publication 529 IPX4
For more information and where to buy Olympus products please go to www.olympus.co.uk